Live At The Starland Ballroom [DVD] review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Mar 22, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Coheed and Cambria: Live At The Starland Ballroom [DVD]

This was the first time I heard the band, and I thought it was pretty good. The guitars sounded good, although you can find some indications of flaws, but live shows aren't meant to be perfect. The drums and bass come in clear as well. The only problem I had was Claudio tends to become winded rather easy in some of the songs, and misses some of his parts. But he can be easily forgiven since he plays some rather nice guitar parts at the same time. It sounds really good though, especially for an indie band.

Content — 10
The DVD travels between both of their released album, The Second Stage Turbine Blade and In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3. It also contains videos for "A Favor House Atlantic," "Devil In Jersey City" and "Blood Red Summer." The videos are fun to watch, and you get the impression they really enjoyed doing them. Also included are interviews with Claudio and Travis, in which they talk about the upcoming album and their present set lists. In regard to there live set list on this DVD, the stand out for me is the acoustic performance of "The Light And The Glass," simply because I love the song and it sounds very beautiful. In summation, the DVD covers a lot of space and it made me very happy that I bought it.

Production Quality — 8
The production is rather good, and I don't really know enough about production techniques to get really into it here. But I say that it is very well done and I don't think they really did anything revolutionary, they just took it one step at a time.

Compared to other concert DVD's I own, like Incubus' Alive At Red Rocks, it stacks up pretty well in my opinion. I feel that it was very well done all around, even if some aspects get in the way. The song list is very good, but like I said before, the acoustic version of "The Light And The Glass" is phenomenal. I also loved "In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth." I liked all of this DVD and if I had to buy it again, I most definitely would. Not only because I really liked it, it was only 13 bucks! Can't beat that by much really, especially for such a marvelous performance.