Neverender 2 Disc Edition [DVD] review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Mar 24, 2009
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Coheed and Cambria: Neverender 2 Disc Edition [DVD]

This is the definitive Coheed and Cambria live DVD. Filmed in New York, the band performs all of their albums in their entirety, over 4 consecutive nights. Coheed and Cambria don't fit into one genre as they have so many contrasting styles which come out on the DVD. The first album, Second Stage Turbine Blade was more of a punk edge album while the three following it tended to be more rock and metal orientated. The mixing on this concert is pretty amazing. From vocals to guitar to bass and drums, everything can be heard clearly. The camera work is good, zooming in on the solos by the band and putting good focus on the crowd( which is awesome ) There was little to no mistakes by any of the members over the four nights, especially on the instrumental side. The drumming was probably the most impressive as Chris Pennie kept throwing in great fills during the songs. The only mistake I picked up was Claudio sometimes missed his vocal cues but that is hardly a big deal. These concerts were performed because it signified the end of their 4 album saga, The Amory Wars. For nights 3 and 4 they bring in two female backup vocalists and for night 3 they bring in another percussionist.

Content — 10
This DVD has every song the Coheed has put out on an album, ever. On this edition, there is two concerts per disc and each one runs an hour at least( Good Apollo:1 runs about an one hour-fifty) Coheed play all there albums with Claudio rarely stopping to talk to the crowd( He tells them he doesn't like to talk much). After they finish the album they play an encore(either a hidden song or a fan favorite). The encores include: IRO-BOT, 2113, Devil in Jersey City/Everything Evil/The Trooper medley and Welcome Home with Warren Haynes. Some favorites off the DVD include: Everything Evil( the ending is EPIC), Light and The Glass, The Final Cut( including drum, bass and keyboard solo) and The End Complete.

Production Quality — 9
The production and the mixing is done very well. Every instrument and vocalist can be heard clearly. The bass can be easily heard which is good because some bands never seem to turn up the bass enough( though in Coheed, the bass has always been prominent) Even when the extra percussionist comes in for night 3, you can hear him smacking his bongo drums(? ) clearly. The camera work is good as I said earlier as every band member, backup vocalist, keyboardist and extra percussionist gets camera time. The camera behind Chris Pennie is very well placed especially for his drum solo( the man works that double kick).

Coheed And Cambria have an indescribable sound. It is like part punk pop, metal and rock. They are not a heavy band, but they have very nice grooves, nice traditional metal/rock solos and a very very talented vocalist, Mr. Claudio Sanchez. The most impressive thing about this DVD is the whole thing. They play all their songs. It's awesome. They are very talented musicians. I don't hate anything about this DVD but I just wish they could have included some special features, maybe a short documentary or behind the scenes. But Maybe I am just being greedy now? I bought this for $20 AU. It was a bargain. I would pay double for it. I would sure buy it again. I guess this one is for fans only, but even if you don't like them, after watching this you will admit, these 4 guys are amazing. Bring on the next album.

Felkara
    I can't wait for my deluxe edition to arrive!! I'm waiting with bated breath. Really can't wait.
    alkalineweeman
    Spoony_Bard
    alkalineweeman wrote: I already have their 1st two live dvd's so dont know whether its worth getting this 2 disk set for a couple of extra songs not on the previous two or holding off till i can afford the full 9 disk box set. You're review was OK, a few gramatical problems and strange wording in places but i can't say much, i'm no better.
    A COUPLE of extra songs? They play EVERY song they've written. Including the new album's songs which did not appear on the previous DVD's, as well as a documentary on the band. I'm gonna get this soon. SO stoked. I'm glad they did this, since I couldn't go to Neverender myself.