Neverender 2 Disc Edition [DVD] review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Mar 24, 2009
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 10
Coheed and Cambria: Neverender 2 Disc Edition [DVD]

If you're going to get a Coheed and Cambria DVD, this is the one you should choose first. It has all of their songs performed in their entirety, over the course of four nights. It's a really amazing DVD. Now then, I'll sum up the nights. Night 1(The Second Stage Turning Blade): Nothing really wrong with this one. The band made no mistakes, or if they did they were very minute and not very noticeable. Claudio's vocals shine through on this night. Not as high pitched as they are on the record but that goes with almost every band. Night 2(In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3): The keys at the beginning of Blood Red Summer, and at the end of The Light & The Glass were amazing. This would be my second favorite night, only second to Night 4. Night 3(Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV. Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness): Claudio's vocals sound out of breath a few times on this one, and he misses his cue a few times, but it's still great. Chris Pennie's drumming is fantastic, and the extra percussionist really adds volume to the songs. Welcome Home and The Final Cut are the highlights of this show. On Welcome Home, the female vocalists add nice effect to the chorus at the end, where Claudio breaks off and they sing the last word. Claudio also puts on a show by playing his first part in the solo above his head. Claudio also plays with his teeth in the Final Cut, while Travis Stever does a talk box solo. Chris Pennie and Mike also pull off pretty amazing solos in the performance too. Night 4(Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV.Volume II: No World For Tomorrow): This is by far my favorite Night. Powerful performances on this one. They also have Warren Haynes come in for the encore performances, which are I Shall Be Released (Originall a Bob Dylan song), and Welcome Home. He does some slide guitar and sings during I Shall Be released, and improvises some solos on Welcome Home. I had not heard much about him before, but just watching him on this has given me the impression he's a fantastic guitar player. The combined vocals of Claudio, Travis, and Mike during the chorus of No World For Tomorrow stick in your head, it's really cool.

Content — 8
It's got every song that Coheed has put out. There are 81 performances on the DVD, and 5 hours and 16 minutes of footage without skipping anything. More than worth the small $15 I payed for it. There isn't much talking to the crowd, as Claudio admits he doesn't like to do it. There are encores for every night, 1 each night on disc 1, and on night 3, and 2 on night 4. There is a LOT of crowd surfing, you can see at least 2 people surfing in almost every scene. I do wish that they would include at least a little bit of the documentary on this version. I can't afford to go buy the boxed set.

Production Quality — 10
Everything is mixed well, everything cuts through well, even the bass. The camera work is phenominal, unlike some other DVD's, and gives everyone camera time. You also get a good view of Chris drumming. And his foot is moving faster than the speed of light in the drum solo, heh heh. The light show is cool, but might induce ceizures.

I'd say this is the best Concert DVD I have. It beats everyone else in the amount of songs, quality of the sound and the cameras. I watch it quite a lot. I do hate the lack of a documentary or interview, but I can live with it. I'm happy I got what I did for the price! And yes, I would buy it again if it was stolen. Wisest music buy I've ever done.

Dudeman5000
    Spoony_Bard wrote: alkalineweeman wrote: I already have their 1st two live dvd's so dont know whether its worth getting this 2 disk set for a couple of extra songs not on the previous two or holding off till i can afford the full 9 disk box set. You're review was OK, a few gramatical problems and strange wording in places but i can't say much, i'm no better. A COUPLE of extra songs? They play EVERY song they've written. Including the new album's songs which did not appear on the previous DVD's, as well as a documentary on the band. I'm gonna get this soon. SO stoked. I'm glad they did this, since I couldn't go to Neverender myself.
    not Elf Tower. Though I think of that as more of a "Claudio Sanchez" song lol!
    cursedreject
    yup elf tower wasn't in it. haha i was so disappointed but 2113 was definately interesting to see even though claudio put more effects for the intro that i liked
    checkingfortick
    I just bought mine last night... the last one! it was so amazing! worth way more than i paid for.
    mybrotherjames
    Great dvd! No, it's not every song they've ever written. They had two ep's before Second Stage came out. I'm pretty sure they don't play those songs anymore though, I know they haven't when I've seen them. Revenger, in your production section you say, "bongo drums(?)". The percussionist is actually playing conga drums. Keep rocking guys.
    MattA7Xfan4Life
    Please tell me that you are retarded. How can you be on a guitar website and say you don't know who Warren F**king Haynes is? He was in the Allman Brothers Band. All in all, this DVD is sick If you like Coheed you'll love this DVD if you don't then you won't. simple as that.