The Color Before The Sun review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 16, 2015
Coheed and Cambria: The Color Before The Sun

"The Color Before the Sun" marks Coheed And Cambria's eighth studio album, and the first not to be based around The Amory Wars storyline. As a defining feature of the past 12 years, some fans could be forgiven for being fearful of what was to come, but the result is an album with a wider variety of song styles than usual, unhindered by the need to adhere to storyline and it creates some positive results that Coheed fans will really love.

Most of the album is not nearly as heavy as "Afterman," the previous double album, the songs instead feature superb melodic writing and expertly explore use of texture to create memorable tracks. "Peace to the Mountain" begins very spa-se but very slowly over 5 minutes of rise and falls, builds to to this epic release of tension when strings and brass join an infuriatingly catchy vocal melody singing the track's title. Unfortunately some other mellow tracks on the album seem to be lacking in direction, and largely drift by without being noticed: "Ghost" seems to act as an intermission to the album which, coming after "Here to Mars" is largely unnecessary. Young Love is also victim of this, it promises more but as it climaxes, the song ends without exploring the ideas further.

This album sees the return of a number pop-punk and post-hardcore tracks reminiscent of Coheed's earlier albums. Tracks like "Island" and the first release "You Got Spirit, Kid" are excellently catchy and feature less of the edgy, dark sections that could put off first time listeners. "Eraser" falls into this genre, yet lacks direction and gets caught between being catchy and poppy with trying to be dark and edgy, the result is a mixed delivery of a song that fails to retain attention.

Coheed do manage to incorporate heavier songs in places and these are arguably the most engaging: "Atlas" (also the name of Claudio's son) grabs you from the start (which is definitely needed following "Ghost"). It is about Claudio's fears of leaving his family for long periods at a time to tour with the band. The whole track is written like a message to his son, and features a beautiful sentiment in the chorus "when daddy goes off... [you're] the love guiding him home." It shows that even without the concept, Claudio is still lyrically excellent. "Audience" is the other track to stand out as heavy on this album, it begins with an emphatic drum beat which is the constant driving force through the song. Even when the anthemic, catchy chorus "This is my Audience" enters, the song retains it's hefty sound, exploring complex syncopated riffs and colossal drum patterns.

Overall, this album definitely feels like a collection of songs rather than a consistent detailed and elaborate story but that's to be expected. The songs are, for the most part, still excellently written, with relatable lyrical themes and enticing textures which when paired with the excellent production are incredibly engaging. The album still features a wide variety of songs, pulling inspiration from each of their previous 7 albums, ensuring that there's something here for any avid Coheed fan or newcomer to the band.

s7peterson
    I liked it. Raw emotion throughout the whole thing. Especially on "here to Mars," "atlas," and "colors."
    nurseboy
    its nice to have something a little lighter from them although I bloody love the neverender and afterman disc this is a nice change
    SkilletFan77
    If you can listen to "Atlas" and still say the entire album sucks, you need to re-evaluate yo-self.
    theblazinasian
    I wasn't excited for this record until I came across an interview where Claudio did a track by track explanation. The singles released at that point just kind of clicked. There's no question that this album is a radio-friendly pop palooza, (which is something that I should hate on paper) but its sincerity managed to pull me in despite the simpler song structure.
    AnEvilWalrus
    I don't understand why people like this so much. When Coheed wrote their poppier stuff (Blood Red Summer, The Suffering, Goodnight Fair Lady, etc etc.) it still had some great guitar work, some nice riffs, and for what were basically some fairly standard four-chord rock songs they were pretty well written. Almost none of this feels that way to me. Shit like Young Love is so lazy and uninteresting that it's honestly just sad. Here to Mars is such a radio friendly pop rock sappy sugary disgusting mess is just makes me want to puke. Idk man I like Atlas and The Audience (YGSK and Colors are alright too) but I definitely need to listen to this more, maybe it'll grow on me but in the meantime I'm pretty disappointed
    Sixxstarr
    The first time I listened through it I really enjoyed most of it but it had weak points. The more I've listened, the more i've really come to enjoy this album. As for Young Love, I honestly skip it every time it comes on.
    Anjohl
    Jesus, Cambria is back with Coheed?! Fucking eh! I remember when Crosby left, and they went as "Stills, Nash, and Young" for a while, it was HORRIBLE. Glad to see Cambria back with his pal Coheed, where he BELONGS.
    travislausch
    I've got a review on the way too, but I can pretty much sum it up by saying it's a really solid release. I kind of lost interest in Coheed over the course of the last few albums, and this is the first one they've released in a while that hooked me in immediately. Of course, now it's making me check out the Afterman albums again and I'm finding myself enjoying them, too. But this is a pretty good effort from the band. I was worried they'd make something really bad without an Amory Wars story line, but it turned out pretty good.