The Last Supper: Live At The Hammerstein Ballroom [DVD] review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 31, 2006
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
Coheed and Cambria: The Last Supper: Live At The Hammerstein Ballroom [DVD]

In Coheed And Cambria's latest DVD The Last Supper, it's all about the climax. The live concert performance at the Hammerstein Ballroom marks the last DVD release with now former members Michael Todd (bass) and Josh Eppard (drums), and it's one that they should undoubtedly be proud of in the long run. The hour-and-a-half stage show will undoubtedly please diehard Coheed And Cambria fans, but everyone will be a believer by the last number. If you're only familiar with singles like The Suffering from Coheed And Cambria (rounded out by vocalist/guitarist Claudio Sanchez and guitarist Travis Stever), then you're missing out on one of the most innovative concept bands today. If you ask one of the band's fans, he or she will likely give you a descriptive rundown of what can also be found in accompanying comic book The Bag On-Line Adventures of Coheed And Cambria. But aside from the rich plotline in their songs featuring characters like Claudio, Mariah, and Apollo, the actual band is full of phenomenal musicians. The Last Supper allows you to go beyond the singles and see how the band harkens back to the days of Pink Floyd's The Wall. The first-half of the DVD is captivating in terms of the playing, although the vocals do tend to get overshadowed by the mixing. If you don't already know the lyrics to songs like The Crowing or Blood Red Summer, then you probably won't know them by the end of your viewing either. This is unfortunate because Sanchez's voice is one of the most distinctive in rock. While the vocal delivery is still effectively passionate, it is tough at times to make out every word on the DVD. This problem actually allows the guitar work to take center stage during the concert, which is a blessing in disguise. If there is one thing that really makes Coheed And Cambria's concert powerful, it is the dual guitar work between Sanchez and Stever. Be sure not to fast-forward through Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial) because that number has almost a nostalgic Iron Maiden feel to it. The pinnacle of the show comes in the finale, The Willing Will Iv: The Final Cut, an improvisational jam session of sorts that is entertaining from start to end. Stever's big moment comes when he goes Frampton on the audience and uses a talkbox during the first portion of the track. Then it's Sanchez's turn in the spotlight. In the remaining minutes of the song, Sanchez uses a violin bow (Jimmy Page-like) on his Gibson, plays a behind his head, and then proceeds to lay down a beautiful, emotional solo that stands firmly on it's own. While most of the other songs are fairly straightforward in their execution, it is this number that will probably create plenty of new Coheed And Cambria fans.

Content — 8
The Last Supper is approached much like a lot of other DVDs out on the shelves right now, and that's a good thing for the most part. From the scenes that chat with fans waiting in lines, it is obvious that the Coheed And Cambria concert experience is something they can't get enough of. The majority of the DVD is the concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom, and in general it is pretty entertaining. The stage show features a backdrop that Claudio talks about as being inspired by Pink Floyd's Division Bell Tour. While viewers at home don't get to see every image that is flashed on the huge screen behind the band, you do get a hint of how it adds to the dramatic lyrics. The DVD also features 3 videos: Welcome Home, The Suffering, and Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial). While it is also mentions that there is behind-the-scenes footage of Sanchez, there is a minimal amount. The brief vignettes that feature Sanchez discussing the tour give you an idea of what the band wanted to convey in the concert, and seeing a bit more of that would have made the DVD a bit more complete.

Production Quality — 9
Director Kimo Proudfoot does a nice job of showing every possible angle you can imagine during the live show. While some directors feel the need to keep showing different camera angle every 2 seconds, even if it means missing out on integral guitar work, Proudfoot is not afraid to let the camera stay locked on Stever or Sanchez for the amount of time it takes to complete their solos. There is definitely a dark look to the DVD, but more than anything that gives you an accurate depiction of actual concert. There are times when the backdrop showing the animated graphics goes unseen for a while, so at those moments it's hard to say if the home viewer is missing out on anything that the live crowd saw.

When fans in the DVD proclaim that the Coheed And Cambria show was a life-changing experience, it's easy to understand why. Front the moment that the band takes the stage, the music is intense and intricate. While the band is not running around stage the whole time or doing on-stage antics, the musical execution makes up for it in full. It would have been great to see a little bit more of the behind-the-scenes chats with other members of the band as well as Claudio, but the director does allow the stage show to be given the attention it deserves. It will be interesting to see the direction of the band after losing Michael Todd and Josh Eppard, but Sanchez and Stever have a chemistry (that is evident on The Last Supper) that will likely weather the storm just fine.

jace55
    yea i was at the May 12th show in detroit.. this dvd was recorded May 20th in new york so i saw the exact same track list & stage setup and everything else... exactly as i remembered and then some. what a phenomenal band and a phenomenal show. the only complaint i have about the band is the lack of crowd involvement... hell they could turn "Welcome Home" into like a 10 minute song and have the crowd singing along at the end .. like stop playing totally and just have Claudio & the crowd singin together.. ya know? it was like a half hour into the show when finally he goes "HEY HOW ARE U GUYS DOIN TODAY? HAVIN A GOOD TIME SO FAR? WE'RE COHEED AND CAMBRIA!" ..... huh? lol you're already 1/2 done ur set man and now ur introducing yourself??! but definitely a fabulous performance from start to finish, especially loved The Final Cut at the end.. very very cool way to end the show.
    GuitarGod610 wrote: If I were in his position, I would be like "Damn, my voice is way too ****ing high."
    Haven't heard anything but the suffering, eh? DVD rocks.
    dougarini
    i was at this show, and honestly it didnt blow me away, i mean, im still gonna buy this, but i dunno, i wouldnt call it a life changing experience
    nt1440
    this is the best dvd ive ever owned COHEED AND CAMBRIA are amazing, sux that bass and drums left especialy since josh was awsome but if u hav to u hav to...and to that guy about claudios ego? were did u get thta from?? he never tlked about himself and if he got more camera time just remember hes the lead singer so its natural that the director is gonna put more of him in ther
    Bass90
    which date at the Hammerstein was this filmed at, the 29th or 20th of May?
    Bass90
    Bass90 wrote: which date at the Hammerstein was this filmed at, the 29th or 20th of May?
    Bass90
    sorry i mean 30th, these guys are amazing btw. I went to see a7z amd these guys played b4 them, and I was blown away. especially the jamm session at the end of there set. They are too undrerated by some and I think people should givem a chance.
    fuz
    Soundb4speed wrote: i think their isnt a problem with claudios ego. However i think he is trying a bit to hard on vocals this time around, which is why im not a fan of this dvd. Claudio shows his amazing guitar skills on this dvd more than the starland, but i find the staland much more appealing. whos with me?
    they both are real diferent, but I think I light Starland better because they played more old stuff like 3 Evils and time consumer, but The Final cut was amazing, i would have paid $15 for that alone
    Tmor586
    jace55
    okayy its not working... if you go to my MySpace account.. www.myspace.com/jclimoges there's a bunch of concert footage from the concert i was at in Detroit.. enjoy!
    ThsBodyHoldngMe
    Tmor586 wrote: coheed and cambria. best band ever. can not get enuff of them, the dvd is so amazin, as good as this review is it doesnt do it justice. even without josh nd mic, the band will stay amazing. in my mind claudio nd travis were more important to the band then josh nd mic. without claudio theyd be done, thats it.u cannot have coheed with out claudio sanchez. travis is a little more important than the others cuz his amazin work with claudio, itd be hard to find two ppl that work together like those two. amazin dvd, all should get it rite now.
    Slow down buddy, if you think coheed and cambria are the best band ever you got another thing coming, sounds like your need to broaden your horizons. And how could they be your favorite band if your just saying that half the band doesnt matter, a band is a collaboration of ideas. This isnt just claudio's show regardless if he can make his voice sound that of a 3 year old child.
    DMguitar1
    only coheed and cambria song iv heard is the suffering, dont like it... anyone know of naything heavier by them? i cant be bothered looking
    Junesongtrigger
    punkrawkus wrote: I am arguably one of the biggest fans, got this the day it came out. Watched it and was dissapointed. It seems like Claudio is making Co/Ca all about him and he seems like a bit of an ass now. I love verything they do, everything they ever have done, but I can see why Mic and Josh left, to get away from the ego known as Claudio. I'm still like the biggest fan (got the tattoos to prove it) but this dvd wasn't as great the the first.
    You aren't too smart. It was obvious as to why they left the band; it was always based heavily upon Claud. Mic and Josh just couldn't come to terms with it. I've heard rumors of, after shows when the band is signing stuff, Mic meeting people and saying "I can't believe you actually know who I am!" Claudio is just automatically recognized whereas they aren't, and they couldn't cope. Claudio sings better than you can.
    Yoshio
    I think how the DVD was shot was amazing. Awesome camera angles, and good uses of cuts. That was an awesome shot of the view through the other guys camera during "Wake up". My only gripe was in the mixing; Claudio's guitar was fairly faint, hard to hear his playing on "welcome home" and "the final cut". I wish they would've turned his amp up a little more.
    Yoshio
    PS... I've met all the band members in person. Once a buddy of mine and myself waited to get into a show all day, and we were the only one's when the tour bus pulled up. I had a lengthy discussion with Claudio and his girlfrind Chondra(I think?); they were really great people. He didn't come across as arrogant; in fact, he was quite modest when I asked his technique. He just walked over and said what's up, and then just sat there with us and chilled for like twenty min. Doesn't seem cocky to me.
    Goodeyesniper24
    the dvd is missing out on features but the show is awesome, and for people ripping on claudio, well hes far from arrogent, everytime i hear him talk bout coheed he talks giving everyone equal credit, ive never heard him say anything selfish, and if he did, i wouldnt care cus he dose alot for the band, and mic and josh didnt do anything, i loved them but if they want to leave thats there personall choice, and well thats my 2 cents
    xDoMyGuitarNoWx
    .. why dont you find out what happened first before stating that josh and mic left because of claudio. dvd was a complete success.. and i wanna kill everyone who has seem then SEVERAL TIMES.
    punkrawkus
    haha he has a right to be arrogant. he is a truly phenomanal musician. sure, he has earned it. but when your arrogance gets in between the meber sof a band it has gone too far. another example tom and blink.
    shimaroller3
    I saw them when they came to minneapolis with A7X and they did the enormous "Final Cut" solo with the talk box and the violin bow and everything. I walked away from it so amazed and i remember hoping they had caught it on video or would. I need to go buy this!
    Bayonetwork
    This DVD sounds so awesome. I haven't gotten the chance to actually see them in concert, yet. HIm...you listen to HIM...shut the hell up.
    xDoMyGuitarNoWx
    HIM%(^ wrote: this band sucks emo sucks. listen to mastodon. real music
    xDoMyGuitarNoWx
    btw, these guys are ****ing amazing. it's a shame josh and mic left =( they will b greatly missed
    FrenchyFungus
    xDoMyGuitarNoWx wrote: if u dont have anything good to say dont flame.. what soever its annoying hearing *****s like you telling everyone what is and what isn't real music.
    Exactly.
    IndieMetalhead
    i'm not so fond of the dvd. a bit too amateurish camerawork for my liking, and the bass cut through just too much. otherwise, its good, delirium trigger
    Co&Ca182
    im a hugge coooheed fan can't wait to get this DVD!...Claudio Is God!
    korn-nut
    you are a very ignorant person. if you were one of the biggest fans, then you should know that josh and mic left for personal reasons. such as they needed to spend time with their family. don't talk about things you don't know and have a lovely day. but anyways i'd love to have this dvd.
    prashant341
    I have this DVD...its everything I expected it to be. I've seen them live once...and it truly was a life changing experience...its what a concert should be. I would highly recommend this dvd to anyone.
    Soundb4speed
    Nick-182
    ahhhhh! i really want this, does anyone know what the track listing is??
    bobross
    razordimeback wrote: does somebody think like me that the cover looks like lamb of god's sacrament cd cover?
    i thought so when i first saw it...damn
    GNRrockslife
    punkrawkus wrote: I am well aware as to why Mic and Josh left. Personal Reasons, aka they personally don't care for Coheed anymore because it's becoming less of a band thing and more of a Claudio thing. Watch the DVD, Claud seems ridiculously arrogant, from my perspective. And yes, it is about Claud's hair too. LOL what boob put that? It's true
    All frontmen are arrogant, just some more than others. It's their nature It's a great DVD, anyways