The Second Stage Turbine Blade review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Feb 5, 2002
Coheed and Cambria: The Second Stage Turbine Blade

The Sound of Coheed and Cambria is hard to put a finger on. It's edgy without being in your face, it's soothing at times (Time Consumer) and at others you want to jump out of your seat and play along with it (Delirium Trigger/Everything Evil). The energy that comes off their music is unbelievable and never relents, and you can tell that there was a lot of thought put into each song that was made. The tone of Claudio's guitar is near perfect and is something very different, the rhythm and lead seem to work together perfectly. The drumming is also very impressive, it's not the most technical but the feel and beat is amazing. Maybe most impressive instrumentally (If your not counting the voice) is Mic Todd on the bass, just one listen to Time Consumer will sell you on that. The singing from Claudio Sanchez is very different and is usually a hit or miss for people, but I find it absolutely wonderful. It's extremely unique and the closest thing it sounds like is Rush. That being said this album not only has a great sound but it has a sound that doesn't get repetitive, it's new, fresh, and complete genius and stays true to it's progressive rock roots like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

This is perhaps the most interesting thing about Coheed And Cambria. Their lyrics tell a sci-fi story called the Amory Wars detailing the Kilgannon family and their struggle to survive, their son's quest for Vendetta, and the fate of the Cosmos. I won't say too much than that because the story is extremely deep. The great thing about most Coheed songs though is they have double meanings so you don't have to be into the story to get something out of them. So with that being said these are some of the most interesting lyrics you will ever listen to. Sometimes they are some most literal lyrics you will hear that actually are coming from one characters mouth ("And she screamed, Claudio! Dear Claudio! I wish, God damn it, we'll make it if you believe!") and other times they are insanely metaphorical and deep ("Hold in your last breath and stare. Assure me your metronome's left arm stick shift is stuck on the right words in your ear."). The lyrics all flow and sound right and like they're in the right place. As I said before you'll most likely either be hit or miss with the singer's voice but even if you don't like the voice you can't deny the uniqueness and the talent it takes to hit and hold some of the notes he sings.

Most modern day artists pale in comparison to these guys when it comes to technical and creative ability, as well as their live performances which in my opinion are better than the recorded ones. It's hard to pick favorites in an album like this but if I had to recommend songs then I would say listen to Delirium Trigger, Time Consumer, Everything Evil, and God Send Conspirator. Also if you liked the album I would highly suggest seeing them live they're amazing. This CD is breathe of fresh air and I would suggest everyone at least take a look at these guys.

bonjidonk
    wow. whoever wrote that last review needs to go back to elementary school. amazing album, possibly my favorite release from coheed and cambria.
    miguel0210
    miguel0210 wrote: So they described them as emo? Thats really inaccurate. They don't really sound like the 1st wave, maybe influenced but more like a new breed of rock with shifting riffs, no definite chorus, fantasy story-based songs, long duration songs, complex riffs. I would describe it that way since some people can't accept the word "progressive". They don't sound like the 2nd wave. And obviously will never sound like the 3rd wave emo. Fugazi? They don't even sound like Fugazi. Lol Alt-Metal?! Haha what the hell.
    My mistake, i meant they sound like they were influenced by both the 1st wave and 2nd wave emo bands but never the 3rd wave. But they still don't sound like fugazi.
    Gibby_47
    easily theie best album and one of the best albums ever. Just a shame Year of the Black Rainbow is such an abortion