Recoiled [EP] Review

Coil / Nine Inch Nails: Recoiled [EP]
Released: Feb 24, 2014
Genre: Post-Industrial, Remixes
Label: Cold Spring
A long time ago in a world that seemed a lot different at the time, the original members of Coil remixed some NIN tracks which then floated around in the form of bootlegs for years... now this bootleg is being released commercially.
 9.2
 9.3
 2,980
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Recoiled [EP] Featured review by: UG Team, on march 03, 2014

Sound: At some point Coil remixed these specific NIN tracks, as they were actually known to do with NIN tracks, but these remixes never saw any kind of official release until now, years after the original members of Coil have died. There are only 4 tracks on the digital release (with a secondary remix of "Eraser" on the physical CD, giving it 5 tracks), but the runtime is over 25 minutes giving an average runtime of almost 7 minutes per track.

The album opens with the track "Gave Up (Open My Eyes)," which is a remix of the NIN song "Gave Up," but is thoroughly shredded in the remix. Something that is specific to Coil is a type of anxiety they build aggressively in their remixes, and they keep that anxiety pulled taut the entire track if possible, or else they'll have a slow build up to that tension without a release. The next track is "Closer (Unrecalled)," so by this point you should see the pattern, as it is a remixed version of the song "Closer." From the sizzling to the heavily processed background vocals of "help me" echoing through the song, this track had my attention. "The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness)" is next, and man this was a trip through the good headphones I was listening to the album through. The (digital) album closes out with the track "Eraser (Reduction)," based off of the track "Eraser." The original "Eraser" was very intense track, but honestly this track makes the original "Eraser" almost sound like pop music. Like other Coil albums, I feel slightly unsettled afterwards, but in a good way. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are essentially the original lyrics and vocals, but they've sometimes been twisted via multiple nefarious means, and cut and spliced as needed. There isn't a lot to say in this area for a remix album. // 10

Overall Impression: Coil remixed several NIN songs throughout their career and it seemed like both bands had a mutual respect for each other and were both very important to their genres. You can hear pretty immediately that Coil definitely wasn't lazy about the way they went about completing these remixes - these were completed before the invention of a lot of the digital tools available now, and they remixed the songs to the point where they aren't even necessarily recognizable to the casual fan of the original tracks. They applied their own angle, and make a unique creation which definitely has its own character and was well worth my time to listen. Of course, this is for the more serious NIN and/or Coil fans, probably. I can see some people thoroughly not enjoying this album - especially in the way they use tension in their music. So, listener beware but again, I immensely enjoyed this album. // 9

- Brandon East (c) 2014