13 Ways To Bleed On Stage review by Cold

• Released: Sep 12, 2000
Cold: 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage

COLD - 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage is a step up from their self titled album enhancing the raw Hard/Rock sound (apart from "Bleed" wich is an acoustic piece) and giving it more flavour without leaving out any of the underlying emotion that seems to hang through all of COLD's music. The guitarists in this album use some great pedal effects to enhance their riffs allowing for rather than the typical "Lead gutiarist, Rythem Gutiarist" type band, more of a "Lead guitarist, Lead guitarist" wich definatly makes it an interesting listening. The bass also has a style of it's own that also has a "Lead instrument" feel to it rather than just filling out chords. Song's like: "Just Got Wicked", "Send In The Clowns" and "Anti-Love Song" show this style of music. The one thing that lets this album down would be the repetativeness of some of the songs such as "Confession", "Same Drug", and "It's All Good" (but this can be found on nearly every album that exists today).

The lyrics thoughout the album show of loneliness, heartbreak, betrayal, rebellion and release through music. The lyrics can actually pull you into a melancholy state of mind if you are not carefull, but vice versa can help you feel slightly better if you find yourself feeling depressed. The lyrics are a major part to the album beeing sung by Scooter Ward, add's a lot of falvour to the album.

Overall the album was not just great but absaloutly awesome. This album stands alone among other Hard/Rock artists purely because of it's different sound and creative musicians. The most impressive songs on the album would be: Just Got Wicked, Outerspace, Sick of Man, Anti-Love Song, Bleed. I love the way the album is called 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage and the album has 13 songs in total giving the title a meaning rather than grabbing some lyric or song name to promote the band/album through an individual song. This album is one of the best CD's in my collection and if I was parted with it I would make sure I get it back. Deffinatly a must get.

velocial
    Scooter Ward writes some of my fave lyrics, 13 Ways and Year of the Spider all the way.