A Different Kind Of Pain review by Cold

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Cold: A Different Kind Of Pain

Cold has a much softer rock sound on this CD than they have in the past, but I still like it. While sometimes the softer rock and slower tempos can be a drag, this CD is still a great relaxing CD. This is mostly because Cold designed the CD for real experiences such as Scooter's battles with addiction. Scooter, the vocalist said on Cold's website, "For Cold, music is... it's real. It's medicine. It's therapy. And I think anybody, no matter what age you are, can be affected by it." This is very evident in the moody, somber tones produced on the CD. These powerful chord progressions and relaxing riffs provide a solid, full sound.

As I said above, Cold's lyrics were written to mirror real events. One song, Tell Me Why, is written for a teenage girl who contacted Scooter and told him about her abusive family life. Cold's sad, depressive lyrics coordinate very well with their sound, creating some songs that can hit very close to the heart. The somber guitar tones coupled with Scooter's mellow voice create yearning rock songs that connect with the listener's emotions.

I think that this is Cold's best CD. I actually didn't think Cold was very good until this CD, which has quickly become one of my favorites. While the most impressive song on the album, head and shoulders above the rest, is Happens All the Time, there are other awesome songs, such as Back Home, Feel It In Your Heart, A Different Kind Of Pain, and God's Song. While I love the CD for what it is, a softer rock, I still wish that there were at least a few harder songs on the CD, at least for a changeup. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again, if only to listen to Happens All The Time.

FFLITMiko
    Sound: The album has a heavier, more depressing sound than its predecessor, Year of the Spider. Unlike the first two Cold albums, this one's depressing sound has a somewhat different ring to it, kind of like a catchy depressing ring. It's more heartfelt, rather than angry. Though I love it, I think that's a downside for the populous. 9/10 Lyrics: This album's lyrics are priceless in some areas, bland in others. For example, in the first song, "Back Home", in the 1st stanza, there is some almost priceless imagery. But then the album's imagery dies down in songs that are almost like a letter, in "Anatomy of a Tidal Wave". I love that song, don't get me wrong. Great song. The way I see it, the songs are not all about imagery, some are meant to speak directly to the listener, rather than show in an image. I think it's great. 9.5/10 Impression: The band itself is either an automatic love or hate kind of idea. You either love it right off the bat or can't stand it. But I guarantee if you listen to it and get past what you hate so fondly of it, you'll grow to love the band, and their music. I love the band. Loved it when I first found it. I suggest everyone take the time, make a few dollars or borrow it from mom or dad, and go out and buy one. Just listen, you might love it. If not, then at least you tried.