A Different Kind Of Pain Review

Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Lava
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Punk Revival
An outstanding disc from the guys, however it's clearly going to be an underrated disc because of the genre and the band isn't really all that big anyway.
 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
A Different Kind Of Pain Reviewed by: Xerothunder, on july 22, 2005

Sound: The sound is a little more melodic, and yet you know without a doubt they are Cold songs. The guitar work is quite similar, although I believe they are playing a step higher as opposed to drop C (not sure though). I love the type of sound they play, but I am more a fan of less complex guitar work in favour of being able to keep a simple melody. People who hate nu-metal, you'll hate this. For previous fans, you won't be disapointed. Innovative? Not really. Catchy and enjoyable? Absolutely. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are true to the band. Cold is incorrectly viewed as just another nu-metal teenage angst-ridden band with whiny lyrics. "The process for making this record wasn't just about dealing with the darkness, the dark side; it was a healing process," says singer/songwriter Scooter Ward. Ward constantly backs up his lyrics by statements like this. One song that sticks out here is Tell Me Why, written for a fan who was in contact with them during the recording process who was battling personal demons. Also, When Heaven's Not Far Away was written for Ward's younger sister who was having health problems. The lyrics show that while they are dark and depressing, it isn't done to complain, it's done to cope. I respect anyone putting their emotions out to the world in an effort to cope. The words themselves are not complex, they are raw emotion. Ward sings with emotion in his trademark voice. Fantastic singer, IMO. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'm liking this CD. I have an advance copy, so it won't be on the market for another month or so. Notable tracks include Different Kind Of Pain, Happens All The Time, Heaven's Not Far Away, and When Angels Fly away. I can't say it's any better or worse then Year Of The Spider, it's just a little different. Overall, an outstanding disc from these guys, however it's clearly going to be an underrated disc because of the genre and the band isn't really all that big anyway. Good CD. // 8

A Different Kind Of Pain Reviewed by: fabs1925, on january 14, 2006

Sound: Cold has a much softer rock sound on this CD than they have in the past, but I still like it. While sometimes the softer rock and slower tempos can be a drag, this CD is still a great relaxing CD. This is mostly because Cold designed the CD for real experiences such as Scooter's battles with addiction. Scooter, the vocalist said on Cold's website, "For Cold, music is... it's real. It's medicine. It's therapy. And I think anybody, no matter what age you are, can be affected by it." This is very evident in the moody, somber tones produced on the CD. These powerful chord progressions and relaxing riffs provide a solid, full sound. // 9

Lyrics: As I said above, Cold's lyrics were written to mirror real events. One song, Tell Me Why, is written for a teenage girl who contacted Scooter and told him about her abusive family life. Cold's sad, depressive lyrics coordinate very well with their sound, creating some songs that can hit very close to the heart. The somber guitar tones coupled with Scooter's mellow voice create yearning rock songs that connect with the listener's emotions. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this is Cold's best CD. I actually didn't think Cold was very good until this CD, which has quickly become one of my favorites. While the most impressive song on the album, head and shoulders above the rest, is Happens All the Time, there are other awesome songs, such as Back Home, Feel It In Your Heart, A Different Kind Of Pain, and God's Song. While I love the CD for what it is, a softer rock, I still wish that there were at least a few harder songs on the CD, at least for a changeup. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again, if only to listen to Happens All The Time. // 9

A Different Kind Of Pain Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2005

Sound: Cold has always had a unique sound, which makes a band good. "13 Ways To Bleed On Stage" was an incredible album. Anyone who picks that CD up will wonder after hearing it if they would of never heard these songs. Same goes with "A Different Kind Of Pain." Each song brings intensity directly out to you, as if it is being set inside you while you listen. // 9

Lyrics: Scooter Ward, the lead singer writers a lot of the lyrics and they are always very heartfelt lyrics, lyrics that scream out their meaning. Scooter is not just a singer who gets words together that work or sound cool, in my opinion I think he really trys to get a message across with each and every song. Definitley lyrics to remember and to be stuck in your head for days and weeks on in. // 10

Overall Impression: Cold is the sort of band that you will either love or hate. This album doesn't match 13 ways to bleed on stage but I still can tell that they are still growing as a band, still can make these songs that conquer and devour. My first concert ever was Cold at Toad Holler, Des Moines, Iowa, one I will remember forever, not that it was my first show, it was because I was addicted to 13 ways and they played a hypnotizing show, I suggest everyone to check out this band, that is all I can say. // 10

A Different Kind Of Pain Reviewed by: FFLITMiko, on april 24, 2006

Sound: The album has a heavier, more depressing sound than its predecessor, Year Of The Spider. Unlike the first two Cold albums, this one's depressing sound has a somewhat different ring to it, kind of like a catchy depressing ring. It's more heartfelt, rather than angry. Though I love it, I think that's a downside for the populous. // 9

Lyrics: This album's lyrics are priceless in some areas, bland in others. For example, in the first song, "Back Home," in the 1st stanza, there is some almost priceless imagery. But then the album's imagery dies down in songs that are almost like a letter, in "Anatomy Of A Tidal Wave." I love that song, don't get me wrong. Great song. The way I see it, the songs are not all about imagery, some are meant to speak directly to the listener, rather than show in an image. I think it's great. // 9

Overall Impression: The band itself has either an automatic love or hate kind of idea. You either love it right off the bat or can't stand it. But I guarantee if you listen to it and get past what you hate so fondly of it, you'll grow to love the band, and their music. I love the band. Loved it when I first found it. I suggest everyone take the time, make a few dollars or borrow it from mom or dad, and go out and buy one. Just listen, you might love it. If not, then at least you tried. // 10

Comments