Cold Review

Released: Jun 2, 1998
Label: A&M
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
It's an album about texture, where the hard-hitting, post-thrash rhythms and the group's vaguely nihlistic undertone combine to form a scary, provocative succession of sound.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Cold Reviewed by: FFLITMiko, on april 25, 2006

Sound: This is a very hard-assed album from Cold. Love it. Four people that worked together to come out with this created something amazing indeed. On the opener, "Go Away", th hardness of the album is felt. Ripping guitar riffs by the frontman and lead guitarist, and also on the equally simple, yet just as powerful, "Give". The very next track on the CD, "Give" attained single status as did "Go Away", and was very deserving. The combination of simple chords make this song easy to play and a load of fun to rock out to. Songs like "Makes Her Sick" my favorite on the album, are also powerful. Again, not the most complex, and sounding great. As I've heard before, simpler can be better. This album is proof. // 10

Lyrics: Hate. Addiction. Sorrow. Powerful ideas for lyrics. Scooter, the frontman, uses them amazingly in the songs. A very strong song lyrically, "Serial Killer" has a catchy verse. The whole song is about a child who was abducted by a serial killer, escaped, and looked for them later in life. Scooter drew off the feelings he felt when this came to mind. Definitely amazing. "The Switch", another good song on the album, lyrically, is not the most original. The verses are the same. The chorus, on the other hand, gets extended. The song appears to be about a girl who is promiscuous and sleeps around a lot, and as a result, cannot feel love. The album is strong lyrically, and very angry. // 9

Overall Impression: Cold's self-titled album was the perfect starting album for them to sell. This was an adequate beginner album, but performed by professionals. This album, dark and angry, gives you the shudders the first time you hear it. And every time after. If you like Cold, then you like this album. Grunge, alternative sound, dark, angry lyrics. Take a chance, buy it. // 10

Cold Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Sound: This has got to be the heaviest album from Cold. An absolute brutal assult of heavy riffs and hateful lyrics. Maybe not as good as "13 Ways To Bleed On Stage," but still f--king awesome. // 10

Lyrics: This album is all about one thing, hate, and hate is one of the best writing influences. You can feel the anger surge through you as you listen to track after track. Scooter tells everyone who ever opressed him exactly what he thinks in this album. Anyone who has ever been opressed can relate to every word spoken on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this cd for $5.00, and I definately got my money's worth. Every song on here is awsome. Some stand outs are "Go Away," "Everyone Dies" and "Serial Killer." I would buy this cd back in a heart beat if I lost it. I recommend this cd of any rock/metal fan. Cold is one of my favorite bands cause they're different from any other band. // 10

Cold Reviewed by: stepco12345, on february 27, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is just raw. Many of the songs on this album are heavy and aggressive. As you enter the album, you are already introduced to the powerful sound that Cold delivers. Unlike their later albums, this album does sacrifice distortion and power. The sound is loud, aggressive and kick-ass. This album is relentless. It gets your blood flowing and your mind racing. This album is perfect for those who prefer their albums hard and ruthless. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written. They are dark and powerful. The lyrics contain great emotion; displaying rage and discontent. No sugarcoating on this album. True, raw lyrics are heard on this compact disc. Songwriting is at its best on this CD. Lyrics on the album are definitely some of the best Scooter has written. // 9

Overall Impression: This album has to be one of the better ones that came from this band. This album was not sugarcoated and delivered great intensity. Cold had huge bad-ass heavy riffs and some fantastic songs. This is definitely an album I have played several times. I love how this album did not leave anything to the imagination. It just let everything hang out. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who finds pure raw emotion and dirty guitar riffs enjoyable and just wants to head bang and rock out to an awesome set of songs. // 9

Comments