Robbers & Cowards review by Cold War Kids

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Cold War Kids: Robbers & Cowards

Brilliant. This, for me is the best album so far this century. Cold War Kids have a fantastically messy, gritty sound. There is a large blues influence in the music but I truly believe this is 100% genuinely individual, new and exciting. This band get no where near enough radio play, TV showing or album sales which I think was a main motive to get this album out in the stores and try to gain the recognition which they truly deserve. You can hear an obvious passion within the music and can tell that everyone in the band is enjoying themself and since when was that not what music is about? From the moderately famous 'Hang Me Up To Dry' to the brilliant 'robbers' this album takes you on a journey and one that you will never forget. Truly superb.

The lead singer has a very strong voice perfectly fitted with the music aswell as the lyrics he sings. When the music is emotive, the lyrics are, when the music is more up-beat, the lyrics are happier. Each line superbly fitted to the previous and next. If you listen carefully to the lyrics you are given a tremndous insight into the lyricist's thoughts and are executed with the music perfectly.

Again, as I said earlier I think that this is the best album of this century and undoubtedly in this genre. And everyone knows that there have been some really superb albums so far in the naughties. The stand out track for me is 'Robbers' partly because I have never heard a male vocal hit some of them notes before and also because the minimal music and occasional off notes on top of the lyrics could keep me entertained for hours on end. Every part of this album is fantasic even after listening to it hundreds of times believe me, I struggle to pick out one single fault and don't think I could if I tried. If I were to misplace this album or have it stolen I would be out to buy a new one within a day. It is absolutely superb. Top album.

Superjenske
    Its a good album. I agree. They really sound good and I cant stop listening, although their sound isn't innovating. They have their own sound, but are just a mixture of different, and probably better bands who came before them.
    Dubelbeism
    Cold War Kids have a great sound..There main concept and inspiration for this album comes off just right. There new Loyalty to Loyalty Album is just completely a great second album, have a hard time going back to the first one. There third should def. be there break out.