A Rush Of Blood To The Head review by Coldplay

• Released: Aug 26, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Until I recently stood back and questioned my thoughts on 'A Rush of Blood to the Head', if asked of my opinion, my reflex reaction would have been a glowing response. With the new year just around the corner, and so many trashy singles clogging up the charts (the only catalyst for their success being media type and promotion) I would have without doubt suggested that the album punctuated a very mixed and clearly changing year for popular music. Reviews of the album came thick and fast when launched, the majority of which being wholly positive. However, I must admit that I simply cannot now put my finger on what made the album so great. Indeed, is it so great? I didn't even immediately connect with 'In my Place', but a friend recommended I listen to the album. At the time, like many, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having left it on the shelf for quite some time after the 'honeymoon period', the later mass realisation by the public that 'The Scientist' was a beautiful track, inspired me to listen again. As with many albums, I began to listen only to favourite tracks. Eventually, though reviewed by many as a half-hearted and basic song, I continued to listen to Green Eyes on a regular basis. At the fringes of his voice I heard a level of genuineness that is often drained out of a songs original conception by the recording process. However, as the year draws to a close, even this album has not left me with any enduring 'classics'. I now simply hear repetition in Green Eyes, and never listen to the other tracks. As with many albums, though 'married' in our hearts when heard for the first two times, the divorce period has set in. I no longer hear a beautiful album, but a dreary set of lyrics that fuse into one. A rush of blood, for me, proves that only exceptional genius stays as fresh in our hearts a lifetime after it first touched our ears. Sadly, for me, this album does not offer such genius.