Mylo Xyloto review by Coldplay

• Released: Oct 19, 2011
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto

If you listen to music, you'll have heard of Coldplay and if you access to any form of media, you'll have seen the adverts for their new, hard to pronounce, album. Your elders also told you, when you were younger, change is part of life. That's exactly what's happened. Coldplay are back in the '10s with "Mylo Xyloto" and their focus has changed, a little bit mainstream, yes, a touch more techno, true. But overall, they've become more modern. As does anything and everything. The songs are typically Coldplay though, stadium filler tunes for Chris Martin to jump to. I love that, from the explosive intro of "Hurts Like Heaven" to the crescendo of "Paradise", the songs we'll love are here. On the B-side, there are more subtle numbers, "UFO" is quintessential acoustic style. Darker songs come in the form of "Up In Flames" (Somehow reminds me of "Fix You" from "X&Y"). The story of the album is that it's called a "concept album' where apparently a story is the lead motive of the album, in this case the story of two characters called "Mylo" and "Xyloto" (original names eh?...) The songs don't flow well in sound but they do in other ways (see "Lyrics") I love it though, it's an upbeat rendition of utter beauty, only fringed on in "Viva La Vida".

Chris Martin is known to be the obscure lyric stringer. Some times it turns out excellently like in "Viva La Vida" but some of the songs here really don't work. Don't get me wrong, "Charlie Brown" is really well strung together, the lyrics are exciting and bring a mediocre sound up. However, the lead single, "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" fails miserably, it sounds similar to a very happy teenager putting words together. I don't know if its possible for Chris to fit "Cathedrals In His Heart".

I love it. I admit. It's catchy. I'm a Coldplay fan. But still, the songs are upbeat, full of power and SOME of the lyrics well written. Maybe it's not the cleverest album in the world or the most subtle. Maybe it is just a synth-fest but I enjoy it. Admittedly, quite a few of these songs will find their way to the Top 40 Charts but I don't mind, what ever's best for the band. Favourite song; has to be "Don't Let It Break Your Heart" it's stadium fillers like these which have brought Coldplay a place in British, and worldwide, hearts. One or two songs lack but we can ignore that, what we can't though are the songs that Coldplay are producing. Especially on this album.

mollyj24
    i love this album i think its amazing! Every single track is catchy and great. By far the best Coldplay album so far