Viva La Vida review by Coldplay

• Released: Jun 12, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Coldplay: Viva La Vida

Coldplay changed their sound a lot. In comparison with "X&Y", their music is slower, less melodic and more based on rhythm. They very emotional synth, and guitar parts (Speed Of Sound, Fix You), witch, in a way, defined the band the last years, are completely gone. People who like the style of "X&Y" may be disappointed by "Viva La Vida", and people who were not satisfied with the 2005-release may appreciate the new side of the band.

It's too early for a deep analysis of the lyrics. The first impression is that the lyrics are not as important as the were on the previous records. There are more instrumental parts. The new sound is not so suitable to Chris Martin's voice. In a way it is a pity that he does not (can not) show all his skills on this album.

"Viva La Vida" is definitely something new. Coldplay made a clear break to the sound they createt and developed for so many years. The record has only ten songs, my favorite one are "Cemeteries Of London", "Lovers In Japan" and "Viva La Vida". All in all, I'm pretty disappointed. I expected a follow-up to "X&Y", a record which has a clear direction. It looks like Coldplay searched for new influences and tried to set them together. For me, it ended in a failure.