Viva La Vida review by Coldplay

• Released: Jun 12, 2008
Coldplay: Viva La Vida

Brian Eno was a great addition to producing Coldplay's 4th album. Eno has created I kind of tribal effect on the album with some songs such as Viva La Vida which also uses some choir singing towards the end of the song. Violet Hill is the mains song on the album and so it should be. The great lyrics, heavy chords from the electric guitar and a great video to go with it; it should have been number 1 in the charts but it only made 8th in the charts as a single. it's also a potential grammy award winner. No doubt this album will be number 1 in the album charts.

If you could describe Chris Martin in 1 word it would have to be 'legendary'. The great voice to the great songs like 'Yellow', 'Clocks', 'In My Place' and many many more has to be voted the best singer of the 21st century by a mile. The lyrics to some of the songs are very detailed and don't always seem like the best lyrics but any lyrics just sound great with the voice of Chris Martin.

On a overall impression the phrase to describe the album is 'Different but still excellent'. Brian Eno certainly changed the mood of Chris & co. because it seems as though every album gets better & better which doesn't happen with many bands. It's certain that Violet Hill is the best song on the album but songs like Lovers in Japan and Viva La Vida are also amongst the best. There hasn't, isn't and wont ever be anything to hate about Coldplay simple excellence. A real must have album!

thycrusader
    mlukeroberts222 wrote: How is this band considered "rock" music? Coldplay freaking sucks! I wouldn't take this album if someone tried to give it to me, nor will I ever listen to it and waste my time. Good luck "rocking" to Coldplay you pansies!
    no one likes flamers or was it 5-year old children? either way they're both equally annoying with no diversity in music "beCuz I onNNley ListnZZ To MetalLlLZ and Rok and roLL!!11!!1"
    Red Exodus
    It's music for christ's sake, what's with these morons commenting on a band they don't even listen to? Is this what heavy metal teaches these 10 year olds?
    skynyrdkoku1
    "Coldplay delivers plenty of Scientist-like material on Viva La Vida" That's the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard. This album sounds anything but their previous work. In no way does anything on this album even come close to the greatness of any little piece of previous work by this band. It's a completely different direction and an incredibly disappointing one at that. Coldplay has transformed themselves from Music Gods into experimental embarrassments.
    ragnarqk
    i adore this music, and not because they're a rock band. it's because i like pleasant sounds and coldplay always delivers.
    ezza61
    It definably is a bit "scattered", but I still enjoy every minute of it. Favs are: Lost! and Death and All of his Friends
    Strati
    I agree with that there is alot of directions on the record. An unpleasing ammount of directions. It's way too scattered all over the place and not as constructive as X@Y or Rush of... I can't say it's as an appealing sound this time.
    petrucci_owns86
    xXChimairaXx wrote: man i listen to heaviest music all day long, but dang there's nothing like COLDPLAY to soothe the senses and calm you down. those guys are awesome. RADIOHEAD aint got nothing on them.
    The man has a point.
    titan05gt
    Hey guys! I'm one of those guys that LOVE metal (and I'm talking about the true metal not the "-core" shit) and I have to say that coldplay is one of my guilty pleasures. They have this amazing sound to them and it just relaxes every part of me. In my opinion, it talkes more talent to make a hit with a song with a really catchy riff that is simple, than hundreds of meaningless riffs that are just there so people praise them for being amaing musicians.
    xXChimairaXx
    longhornchad200
    My brother downloaded this album and I've been listening to it, it's amazing. Honestly it goes with their natural progression if you listen to parachutes as opposed to rush of blood as opposed to X&Y This is just another step on their progression as a band, another thing is that this one really they've progressed into a bigger and more muture sound and perhaps some of these people aren't equipped to handle it because they need a three minute pop song or else they lose focus.
    tbrown8890
    I've never liked Coldplay before seeing the Ipod commercial. I downloaded and listened to Viva La Vida and loved it. I'm looking into their past albums right now.
    hothot
    I can't stand any of your arguing. Music is an artform. An artform that's opinionated. Get over it. Some people don't like it; oh well. I'll agree, they don't have to come on and bash the artist, but to sit and ramble about "the rockers" instead of the artist is an insult and down-right shame. Keep it focused on the album. By the way, I personally love all music with good intent, good lyrics, and that make you think. Many genres fill these categories, and so does Coldplay!!
    CasanovaBass
    mosh_rocker2006
    One...if you don't like coldplay then don't bother wasting our time commenting with absolute nonsense...yes that means you mlukeroberts222. As for the album...it's good...there's a lot to be heard in each song. I'm still not sure how i feel about it compared to X&Y because that album was marvelous. But this album is good.
    3dd_bggst_fan
    WHAT THE CRAP!! if every band was made for rocking out to, we wouldnt have rock music. the genre started out with Elvis and the Beatles. hav fun rocking out to them. ignorance annoys the crap out of me. and think about this, wat evr it is, coldplay is doing something right, THEY'RE freaking millionaires! can you, "do want fries with that"?
    Kurdt2k
    swinghead wrote: I dont want to offend anyone and i apologize with coldplay fans, still i think their song are an insult to every decent musician working his ass to the bone not getting half a glass of beer. Even New York times journalists defined them a useless band and this album is here to prove this statement once again. Its not about my likes and dislikes, its about good and bad music! Dont get fooled! and most important dont get angry coldplay fans and sympathizers : cmon... get yourself some culture bout music
    You sound so arrogant...it doesnt mean someone isn't musically cultured just because they have a different opinion to yours. I am into several genres of music and enjoy Coldplay...their music is simple, yet still inventive and very inspired. People are entitled to their opinion and questioning their knowledge because of this is unfair. That is all...
    swinghead
    Cobain_Is_King
    I saw on Channel 4 news today they totally ripped off an old song with their new single haha, I think they're getting done for it.
    Kozworth
    Their new record is quite marvelous. It's just good music, you can't fight that.
    benrochlin
    Its not a bad album... i just expected more after the time theyve off... the odd good song and some good melodies but it leaves you wanting more. Theres nothing epic.
    aliceinnirvana
    Eh, I like a few Coldplay songs here and there, but this album as a whole touched me like the others: I've heard better. There are some songs that put me to sleep, and these are frequent. But every now and then there is a gem that fills me with awe. However, I think that Coldplay is often overrated, despite them having great talents. I can see them doing better.
    3dd_bggst_fan
    i bout this album a couple days ago and its fantastic. Viva La Vida, Cemetaries of London, Technicolor...masterpieces! that being said, the only thing i dont like is, that it doesnt really change alot throughout the album. never the less, it was worth buying the whole CD instaed of getting individual songs off of iTunes.
    xTheVulcan
    I loved this album. It's a good change of pace for me, and Viva la Vida is just a masterpiece in my opinion. Well done Coldplay.
    joker_thief
    ignoring the idiots who sometimes post shit on here about coldplay, i think this album was a little different but an altogether solid release by Coldplay
    blacksheep7475
    thats pure ignorance, heres a person that refuses to listen to anything but rock and metal if u like music u should be open to other types and yes i like metal and coldplay
    avneetsidhu
    this is an amazing CD... coldplay ventures off into a new sound but stays true to their roots. it's a more adventurous CD which would appeal to all ears.
    OzarkMDaredevil
    Obviously some of you haven't heard the album at all....Or old Coldplay. Violet Hill definitely has guitar in it, and many of their first albums do too(The EP Brothers and Sisters).
    food&liquor
    it doesn't have to 'rock' to be good. and you dont have to put on a macho facade to show us how you much you 'rock'. seriously. grow up.
    food&liquor
    Brad52 wrote: so not all metalheads hate coldplay
    wow i can honestly say i didn't know that. anyways... this album is great! took a while to grow on me but now i love it, strawberry swing and lovers in japan are always stuck in my head. to me its my second favourite album from them, after rush of blood.
    Brad52
    CasanovaBass wrote: Ok, so you Metalhead UGers don't like Coldplay. Look at it like this. You may listen to metal because it rocks, sounds awesome, is great live, or whatever. Apply that same thinking to a band like Coldplay. How do they sound? Pretty good to the ear. How are they live? A whole stadium is joined as one. No skill in the guitar work, you say? So why is the music as a whole deeper and more substantial than some metal will ever be. Music is about listening.
    i usually only listen to metal/metalcore music and i used to think coldplay sucked. but then i started realizing that you cant always just "rock out" to music. i find coldplay a breath of fresh air and very calming music to listen to. so not all metalheads hate coldplay
    Wesseem
    i like this album alot, unfortunately i don't feel it's as good as a rush of blood to the head or X and Y. I personally only liked 4 songs from vivala vida and the rest are hard to really listen to or care about. hopefully it grows on me, but as for now ill continue to listen to their other albums more than i listen to this one.
    moby zeppelin
    yeah i felt the same way about radiohead until i actually listened to the music now i enjoy both bands, as they are both excellent to the ear and perfectly supplement my heavy metal and classic rock (but the new radiohead album sucks) viva la vida is by far coldplays best and deserves to be bought, it is definitely soft but not as boring as a rush of blood to the head
    riteso
    Dont listen to these guys much but i can tell that they have to be doing something right if they have such a good fanbase. Ignore some of those dickheads who are just all heavy metal, i love heavy metal but i can respect other varieties of music. Those dickheads just give metal a bad reputation and shouldnt be that way cause there is some awesome heavy metal. Look up master of puppets and you'll see. There are awesome melodies on it, some of them not a million miles away from this sort of music
    Dgfduck
    I'm tired of people complaining saying that Coldplay is trying to be U2 or something. If you're a true Coldplay fan, you'll accept that this is actually pretty much the same Coldplay. The song Viva La Vida has great lyrics, but I don't see how it's become the most popular Coldplay song overnight. Violet Hill, 42, and Cemeteries of London dominate this album for me, as a fan. I like all kinds of music, even metal, so don't diss thier chill style. I'm glad Brian Eno produced, because I very much enjoy a little ambience in my Coldplay. Viva La Vida. Coldplay forever.
    StonedFire
    Good Band, Great Musicians. As for the haters if you don't like the band why come here and bash them. You actually think your going to change someone's mind in here who like them to hate them. Moran's! Most of the haters that come in here dress in all black shop at hot topic get picked on in school and can't adapt to a normal human life so they bash bands to express themselves.. Losers!
    pratt121
    I wouldn't expect Coldplay to be super-well received on a rock forum because they're not a classic guitar-rock band. They're sort of... piano-driven rock with pop overtones. Until VLV that is -- what a step forward.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    congratulations to whoever wrote the last review (they only gave it a 6/10) i havent heard the album yet, but it was nice to see some honesty rather than just cobbling together another 10/10. in all fairness, the album may be a 10/10 album for all i know, but its nice to see someone give a different opinion