X&Y review by Coldplay

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
Coldplay: X&Y

Wow. That's what I said when I heard Clocks for the first time. I bought A Rush Of Blood to the Head, listened the hell out of it, then put it away for quite some time. A year later, me and a friend were at the mall when he heard The Scientist playing on the radio. We instantly went home and covered it with an alternative rock edge, sortof. Then, a month ago I heard Speed of Sound. Again, I said wow. What a simple melody yet so big. There is no other way to describe Coldplay and their new album but big. The stadium rock aspects of this album just makes me anxious for when their US Tour finally gets here. Although, I just recently started pratcing piano (Clocks was the first song I learned). I wanted there to be more piano in this album, but the lite-rock riffs that are in the style of The Edge's playing are a very welcome addition.

Chris Martin, however "hippy" ("make fair trade" campaign as an example, which there is nothing wrong with) he is, is one of the most talented vocalists out there. When I tried to sing the most powerful song on the CD, "Fix You," my voice couldn't come close to the high notes he hits. The lyrics are very easy to relate to; they clearly point out Martin's Indie music background. The most lyrically strong songs on this album are: "What If?," "Fix You," "Talk" and "Swallowed In The Sea."

I loved AROBTTH, and I don't have Parachutes, but as soon I get some cash I'm for sure buying that as well. Maybe I'm giving Coldplay too much credit but this is a great album. Pretty much all of the songs are good except "X&Y," "A Message" and "Til' Kingdom Come" which sound like they were thrown together really quickly which only makes them decent. If someone stole this album I'd let them keep it. Maybe they'll come to like it and quit their evil ways. I'd probably shank them and take it back, though.