X&Y review by Coldplay

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
Coldplay: X&Y

This album is quite different to anything they've done before, and is much more atmospheric and uplifting than their other albums, as shown in the opening track 'Square One'. No two tracks sound even remotely similiar and there's a lot of variation of styles as you go through the album. The lead guitar shines through more often in songs such as 'White Shadows', 'Fix You' and 'Talk'. The drums also have a lot more to do with the music now than they used to The songs are put together very well and it's hard to get bored or uninterested when you hear the songs again and again. Some of the riffs and chord changes are so sweet to the ear, and every song seems to tell a story, lyrically and musically.

The lyrics in this album are not brilliant but are not bad either. There is obviously a lot of feeling and emotion in them in songs such as 'Fix You' and 'What If' but sometimes the words can seem quite meaningless and stupid such as 'Speed of Sound' (although a great song). In many of the songs, people will be able to understand and relate to what is being sung about as it refers to many things in life such as of course the obvious, love. Chris' vocal on this album are superb, pushing the boundaries of what he can do with his voice. His range is excellent both high and low and he uses a lot more falsetto to give the songs their atmospheric sound.

My favourite Coldplay album is probably A Rush Of Blood To The Head, but X&Y certainly comes close. All of the songs are brilliantly written and thought out, with all of the band coming together to produce a precise but immense sound. My personal favourite tracks are 'Fix You', 'Square One', 'What If', and ' A Message'. I think that this album is totally unique from anything else I've heard and as I like a wide range of musical styles I can safely say that I've never heard anything like it. You can't really put a name to it. It's just Coldplay.