X&Y review by Coldplay

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
Coldplay: X&Y

I have been listening to X&Y for well over a year and I only really feel I can write an honest review about it now. The reason for this is that it takes a long time to get this album and unfortunately you only really 'Get It' after seeing the tracks played live, which I was fortunate enough to do a month back. There are the standout tracks that give you immediate satisfaction 'Fix You' and 'Swallowed In The Sea' but it's only when you really listen to the others that you really get a feel for X&Y. Each track is like a juicy orange, with so many layers to peel back only to discover another nuance that twangs on my musical string. It is a much bigger layered album than Rush and Paracutes and it does represent a musical shift for them. A lot of people compare Coldplay's sound to Radiohead and while the similarities are there, Coldplay represents a much more accessible version of this genre.

Chris Martin isn't the greatest vocalist, never has been, never will be. However he does put what he's got the great use. A lot of falsetto here but it adds to mos of the tracks where I would usually find falsetto just plain annoying. Lyrically, well it goes from brilliant to not so great. There are some moving lines and some "Huh?" lines as well. But nothing sounds as though it was written by a ukrainian whose learnt english from reading the back of bus passes, they lyrics flow well even if there meaning isn't exactly apprent.

This is definately there most accomplished work to date, obviously there are always the fans who don't think a bands sound should stray from the original but what's the point if your going to just produce the same stuff over and over? As I said this album comes into it's own live, and while I loved it before it just makes sense seeing it performed live.

cb21990
    bought this album and wasn't very impressed. Had a good song here and there and the lyrics were Great but I think they need a little more variety between their songs