Youth review by Collective Soul

• Released: Nov 16, 2004
Collective Soul: Youth

The first time I listened to the cd, I thought the sound was an attempt to mix modern rock/pop with CS's sound. Now that I've listened to it more, I realize that the sound is simply CS. More than a few people were let down with their last release, "Blender", satisfied, but let down. Now that CS is on their own label they're sounding great. Energetic and excited to do what they're doing. The sound of "Youth" is definitely the sound of older CS, even kind of retro but in a definite good way.

Ed's lyrics are great simply put. CS isn't a band that writes because life if going all to crap for them. The lyrics, as with the sound, are very energetic and uplifting. But yeah, the lyrics are great and can only be claimed by CS themselves.

I don't really think CS can compare to any other band as they have their own sound, and it rocks. There's a good balance of slow and more fast paced songs. Satelite is one of my favorite slower songs, and Better Now is a great fast paced with some good riffs. It's hard to find a band that can combine both slow and heavy songs and keep the original sound. I think it's a great comback after four years. Not only would I buy this cd again if it were lost, but if a friend ripped it from the net, I would go out and buy it for them. When you piece all the components together, the sound of CS is something everyone should be familiar with.