Collide review by Colleen Dagostino

• Released: Mar 15, 2015
Colleen Dagostino: Collide

So this is a fresh artist within the electronic pop scene. Colleen D'Agostino is also known for being the front figure in the pop rock band called The Material, which has released quite a few albums over the years. She launched her solo projects about a year ago and has also been featured in one of the songs made by deadmau5, "Seeya," which became very popular. Her first solo project was also electronic pop where she used With Beating Hearts as her alias and released an EP with a few tracks on it.

This new EP was released under her own name through mau5trap, entitled "Collide." Most of the music is made from electronic effects, but on songs like "Where Did You Go" and "From Up Here" there are some guitars and pianos during the verses and intros.

Since I've listened a lot the all the lyrics that she wrote for the songs when being active in The Material, I would say that she has her way of writing her lyrics. She has mostly written about love and being left alone. Most of the songs from "Collide" basically follows the same pattern, where she sings about someone being gone and wants this person to come back to her. Examples: "Come back to me" (from the track "Where Did You Go"), "When we collide we'll light the sky" (from the title track "Collide") and "From up here a thousand shining lights will lead me back to you" (from the track "From Up Here").

I really enjoyed this EP since I'm a fan of her previous releases with The Material, so it's refreshing to hear her voice in other music genres. The track "Where Did You Go" has some heavy electronic beats which I liked a lot, so I would recommend this track to those who listens a lot to electronic music. If you're looking for some simple catchy pop, "From Up Here" is a really good track to start with. And then we have "Stay" which has deadmau5 written all over it (since he's featured on this track) but it's also a really good one.