The Big Eyeball In The Sky review by Colonel Claypools Bucket Of Bernie Brains

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Colonel Claypools Bucket Of Bernie Brains: The Big Eyeball In The Sky

Les Claypool, bassist and songwriter extrodinare - has done it again! First, he surprised us and entertained us with the amazing Primus, then the excellent Frog Brigade - and now, his best creation yet, consisting of Les, Buckethead on guitars, Brain on drums and Bernie Worell - comes Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains! This is truley one of the most amazing albums, muscially - I have ever heard. It combines Funk, Metal, Punk, Rock, Jazz, Psychadelia - all into one excellent package. Primus was the first to mix something with Jazz, Punk and Metal, throw it in a blender - and come out with something that wasn't fertilizer, but this is Claypools best creation yet. The bass lines are funky, heavy, fast, technical - and groovy. Claypool is a modern day Chris Squire, truley excellent bass player. The best, period. Buckethead plays excellent lines here, and does not hog the volume - and plays fast, quick, tasteful fills and riffs. The drums are complex, and the quirky keyboards add that classic Claypool campiness. 'Junior' starts off with a catchy riff played very fastly, repeated - then breaks down with groovy bass and excellent, odd vocals. 'Buckethead' has funky, fast bass lines and odd guitar textures thrown in, with a catchy chorus. 'Tyranny of the Hunt' is a catchy piece with a suttle, heavy guitar riff and excellent bass and fast keyboards - complete with distant, echoed, computer modified vocals. 'Hip Shot from the Slab' is a catchy pice with great arrangement, and 'Space Elephant' is a superior intrumental.

As usual with Claypool, the lyrics are at their quirky, campy, perverted best. They are odd, but tell storys - some funny faerie tales, others political rages, and some just make no sense. But it's all good when it comes from Claypool, because you can accept this wackiness because of the man himself and the amazing music he provides. Claypool has very cool vocals. His southern accent comes through, but not to strong. They are spacy, and echoed alot. Odd vocal deliveries - Jon Anderson from the south on acid.

I am a longtime Primus and Frog Brigade - and I truley think this is Claypools best effort. I hope Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains marches on as a band, and releases more excellent albums as a band. Claypool shows of his superior bass and buckethead shreds. Although all the songs are amazing in their own right, the best songs are Junior, Tyranny Of The Hunt, Buckethead, Hip Shot From The Slab. All the songs are excellent. I love the innovation, the creativity - and the sheer collective chaos and musical bliss of it all! If it were lost or stolen, I would cry, lynch whoever stole it - and buy 10 more and put them in a safe.

Murasamehero
    Bought the album, and loved it. As a die-hard Buckethead fan I was compelled to buy the album, and I definitely don't regret it.