Broadcasting... review by Comeback Kid

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Comeback Kid: Broadcasting...

The sound of this album has changed a lot from Wake The Dead. The sound has matured. Longs are longer, and the songs have structures to fit. There is a lot more melody to it and less hardcore elements which made Comeback Kid truely what they are, especially in 'Turn It Around'. On the other hand, nothing has made it change genre. The sound is still Comeback Kid, it's just grown up from when the kids were playing songs about falling out with friends. Expect hardcore punk, but not as you remember it being. It defintely isn't up to their older standards, but the sound is still enjoyable nevertheless.

Polictical lyrics in hardcore punk was a major part of it. Arguably, it still is. Comeback Kid have lyrically taken that root but have rewritten it in a style which isn't as you'd remember, once again, like the sound of the album. The other side of lyrics is personal experiences, which is written a lot like plenty of post hardcore lyrics. The rest express messages, which are conveyed in lyrics which need multipul read throughs to fully understand. Where they lack in some areas, they make up in others, but overall leave you disapointed. The new vocalist, who played guitar previously, has a far more aggressive and faster style to the previous one, but is uncannyingly similar. It's arguable that it's better than the last effort.

There are less stand out songs, but of which include 'Broadcasting...' and 'In Case Of Fire', but even those are on the more averege side of things. In no means is this a poor album mind. If you are to compare this to older attempts, you will be disapointed. However, songs are well written, and it is still quite an enjoyable album, just don't expect to spin this in your record player as much as you did for 'Wake The Dead' or 'Turn It Around'.

seventyXseven
    alright well of the fouir memebers are from a band called figure four which was christian rock, they're featured on a site called "christianrocklyrics.com" and ive read in interviews how they say they get inspiration from god in their lyrics so conclude what you will
    first off only Andrew and their one guitarist were in figure four and second, they've made statements about how the speculations about them being christian rock are false considering only 2 of the 5 members are christian. everyone thinks they ar ebecause of their relationship with figure four and the record label ,which at the moment escapes me, that figure four was on.
    WILL MURRAY
    I think this album is great, seeing them on thursday with Carpathian and Verse. Should be good.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    there are hints of promise on broadcasting towards a new sound, but the previous cd's sound much better. Nothing beats wake the dead's "false idols fall". Holy **** that is their best song.
    recklessnick
    wake the dead and turn it around are the albums every hardcore fan or punk fan must have. this album is really just meh. its not as fast as their older stuff. and i prefer scott's vocals by a mile
    Craigo
    ^ A good album would be good from start to finish. Only a handful of decent songs gets this a six (only a tad better than bog standard)
    Maximo123
    In fact, i love the album. There are some weak tracks on it, but there are a lot good tracks also! (Check out Defeated, Give'r (Reprise, The Blackstone, In/Tuition) CBK indeed matured, and Andrew is one hell of a singer! I'll check them out live in e few days, and then I'll decide if Andrew brings more or less power to the shows. My score on the album would be an 8.
    Yoms
    I love this album. Although Andrew's style isnt all that different to Scott's, I still prefer it (first few times I listened to this, I just thought Scott had improved his vocals a bit, until i read somewhere that he quit the band last year). This still has all the agression and energy that made Wake the Dead awesome with a slightly better vocalist and no weak songs (weak meaning slightly tedious or unremarkable; i dont think you could call any of CBK's songs "weak" in the literal meaning of the word).
    TOB00
    wake the dead is gold
    HELL YES Havent heard this one(broadcasting...)
    kryptonite22
    febick wrote: and ive read in interviews how they say they get inspiration from god in their lyrics so conclude what you will
    you can be a christian and not in a christian band. this album is solid, not as good as turn it around but i might prefer it to WTD on the whole.
    febick
    seventyXseven wrote: febick : I've always found hardcore just like a lot of screamo to be terribly redundant, im all for the attitude in rock music (which i think is lacking) but dont try to pull it with false screaming and repetetive songs, I just dont buy it with "christian rock bands" like the afore mentioned comeback kid. Pardon me christain rock?! Comeback kid is not a christian rock band and where did you hear that?!
    seventyXseven
    And you Can't compare broadcasting to their old stuff since andrew is now taking over for scott, if anything its not just a jumbled mess of scotts higher pitched voice , andrews bellows and sounds mroe dominant especially live.
    Dobbin87
    You all need to get your heads checked. Coming from a hardcore fan who has never listened to Comeback Kid before, this stuff is legit.
    febick
    Sleepyjanitor wrote: febick wrote: My problem with this band is they've made the same song for three albums, it wouldnt hurt to sing in a different tone would it or at least one more listenable? nah its more badass this way i love the album its still comeback kid in everyway no change which is great because every other new cd by every band i like this year put out the most mellow, emo lame queer shit ever. this album was amazing the new singer is so much more hardcore and is so much more like vibrant with his yells.
    yeah i know what you mean ive found myself going back to old stuff like system of a down and the first slipknot cd just to get something which was so mellow and emo
    Sleepyjanitor
    Cedence
    The new vocalist is good, but the new album is lame. Sure it's "matured" or whatever, but they definitly didn't pull it off well enough. I'd give it a 4 out of 10 probably. I pretty much agree with everything in this review except for Broadcasting being a stand out track. It's probably the worst one. Defeated is pretty decent, but the rest is junk
    becker009
    ive never heard any of the new stuff with andrew, but holyshit i wish scott was still here.
    SOUPerman432321
    im glad they got rid of scott i like andrew better and i can compare it to the old stuff having a different singer just makes it easier broadcasting is better than wake the dead
    Pollyboi
    Have to admit that "The Blackstone", "Defeated" and "In case of fire" is just... (speechless)... songs! Can't wait for them to get their ass to Norway!!