Symptoms And Cures review by Comeback Kid

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Comeback Kid: Symptoms And Cures

Comeback Kid comes back in style with the introductory Do Yourself a Favour. For hardcore punk, it doesn't clock the fastest time on the grid, but acts more like a monster truck, sweeping clear everything that lies in its way. By the time the gang vocals have finished their work, Crooked Floors kicks in with real hardcore style and, most notably, speed. A melodic track, it is one of the albums exemplary tracks, embracing sing along choruses and melody only beaten by the next song: G.M. Vincent and I. It is not often that a hardcore punk band begins an album with such swagger. It's a daring that Comeback Kid should be wary of, some of the songs even bordering on pop punk, a sound that might further displease and even alienate the band's listeners. Because of All the Things You Say continues in the vein of the first three tracks, the screaming less intense, but the band as tight as ever, relying on rapid palm muting, and eerie guitar leads. The song ends on a low key guitar melody, perhaps the first sign of the band taking a breather. Indeed, the band slows down to experiment with tempo shifts on songs such as Magnet Pull, signalling to either the maturing or the decline of this band. This is fairly standard hardcore punk, making it difficult to review. It's loud, and perhaps suffers from the common production technique' of making everything too loud to truly appreciate the volume button or knob on whatever appliance used to play the album.

Much has been made of Andrew Neufeld's appointment as lead vocalist of Comeback Kid in the wake of Scott Wade's departure back in 2006. This is Neufeld's second album with the microphone in his hands after 2007's Broadcasting, and he seems to have really risen to the challenge of succeeding a much respected hardcore vocalist. In the end, it comes down to whether one can get past the change of vocalist, with many fans arguing that Comeback Kid is no longer the same band as during the Scott Wade time period.

It's difficult to warm to modern hardcore when bands like Governent Issue, Sick of it All, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat and The Germs loom over modern efforts. It's not so much that Comeback Kid is bad at what they do, but surely there is only so much more imitation that can be sustained by the hardcore scene before a special band emerges from the seas of platitude to really take hardcore by storm. Some critics might be inclined to over-estimate the value of the experimentation on Symptoms and Cures, but it has less to do with experimentation within the hardcore genre than it does with Comeback Kid's own limited sound. The transition from hardcore punk to melodic pop punk has been done before now, and Comeback Kid would be wise not opt for that direction in the long run.

Amuro Jay
    contagioned wrote: I don't understand how you mention that the music is 'solid.' When I think of that adjective, I don't think of a failing grade.
    A 6 is not a failing grade. That's a 3/5, which is pretty decent. If 5 is average, then 6 is above average, making this album above average, ergo, solid. Nothing fantastic, but not bad either. I hate how everyone on this site thinks that 7.x or below means it's shit. Not every album deserves a 9.5.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    Better than Broadcasting, but far too 'angsty' vocals (classic Comeback Kid was a more consistent punk yell with ornamental screams to bring it up a hardcore notch). They need to switch back vocalists or find someone else that doesn't sound like screamo, at least tell Neufeld to study the first two albums more closely. The band themselves however pump out some good songs, however, The Concept Says, Balance, & Get Alone being favorites.
    FearOfTheDuck
    I love modern hardcore. Most of it is directly inspired by Refused. You get the classic punky sound with bands like Gallows and The Ghost of a Thousand. And yeah just checked out this bands stuff and quite liked it
    contagioned
    mrrocha06
    I agree with Jau_peacecraft... the vocals sound kinda screamo but the guitar gives a kick. It definitely doesnt sound exactly like their old stuff but i still like it. I think if they reverted back to a yell rather than a scream it would be a classic CBK sound
    Conticelli
    I personally enjoyed this album. Sure, it's nothing compared to Wake The Dead, but it sure beats Broadcasting any day.
    Slaytan666
    EpiExplorer wrote: krvolok wrote: FearOfTheDuck wrote: I love modern hardcore. I hate modern/post hardcore.I haven't checked this out so I cant comment on that but if it is anything like the rest of the scene it's soulless. Totally. Gimme some DRI..
    Or Sick Of It All. Their new album is solid.
    Dregen
    Conticelli
    Dregen wrote: What the ****? a 6? This album is way better than a 6. At least a 7.5 or something around there. This album is fantastic. And the vocals are way better than they used to be IMO.
    I have to agree with this statement!
    Amuro Jay
    See: My previous statement.
    krvolok
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: I love modern hardcore.
    EpiExplorer
    Totally. Gimme some DRI..