When Legends Become Dust review by Conducting From the Grave

• Released: Feb 17, 2009
Conducting From the Grave: When Legends Become Dust

When Sacramento technical metal band With Passion broke up in September of 2007, it was a sad day for the Sacramento metal scene. I personally had seen With Passion play many times live, and was sad that such great musicians would no longer be together. But a ray of hope shone shortly after the sad news was released when I heard that the guitarists from With Passion Jeff Morgan, John Abernathy, and bassist Steven Lovas would rejoin their former band Conducting From The Grave. Shortly after this, Conducting From The Grave released "When Legends Become Dust". From start to finish this album is absolutely flawless. Lightning fast guitar riffs, generic catchy metalcore riffs, and barbaric breakdowns are perfectly combined to deliver a unique sound in a genre that is being littered by copycat bands and repetitive riffs. The guitarists John Abernathy and Jeff Morgan, deliver both insanely complex and technical riffs with unflinching precision and catchy metalcore hooks most notably in the intro to the song "Marhing Towards Extinction." The guitar riffs are not repetitive in the least and stay fresh throughout the cd. Jeff Morgan and John Abernathy even show their skills on multiple clean solos on songs such as "When Legends Become Dust" and "Hit the Lights Armageddon's Here" showing a jazz influence to their playing. Bassist Stephen Lovas, incredibly keeps with both of the guitarists on bass with stinging bass lines. The drummer, Greg Donnelly, is precise and not over-powering in his drumming, quite a few metal bands could take some notes on how to play the drums from Greg. The CD isn't flooded with blast beats, and yet the drums patterns are very complex most notably heard in the song "Marching Towards Extinction".

Singer Lou Tanuis has an impressive vocal range, ranging from lows and growls to unearthly highs. The lyrics are as epic and intense as the music dealing with battles, revenge, and death, and with plenty of catchy hooks for everyone to scream along with. The lyrics for this album are written by many different current members of the band and past members. My favorite lyrics from the album are in the song "Eternally Gutted" "Eviscerated with surgical precision, lacerated far beyond infinity... Gazing upon blood stained hands. Insanity overcomes me. Cannibalistic thoughts cloud my tainted mind and I begin to feast."

Conducting From The Grave is basically like your favorite metal band, only better. The breakdowns are more brutal (unless your favorite metal band is Oceano), their solos are faster and more technical, their lyrics are more epic and their hooks are catchier. This CD is 43 minutes of pure unadulterated metal, with no fillers, intros or outros. I wish I could more critical of this cd, however, in my opinion this CD is perfect. Every song on this CD is just as brutal and technical as the previous song, and it continues to get better with every listen. "When Legends Become Dust" is for fans of early All Shall Perish, Veil Of Maya, or Born Of Osiris, or if you simply like metal music, technical guitar work this album is for you.

Pretty_Much
    Ah, I always thought With Passion was too genericy. That's why im glad they came out with this absolutely amazing peice of art. It is way too underrated.
    brandonbrkdwn
    i love this band and i esp love oceano haha nobody has brkdwns quite like they do but great review this band is amazing
    shredheadted
    This album is quite incredible. The vocals, guitars, drums, pretty much everything is awsome. Not much to say other than this is a pretty big must have for any fans of the genre and anyone looking for got metal in general.
    shredheadted
    And of course by got metal I mean shmlaterhosen, gotta learn to go over posts before I post em.