All We Love We Leave Behind review by Converge

• Released: Oct 9, 2012
Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind

This is my first experience with Converge. I have heard for years that Converge are the pioneers of metalcore. This is not the metalcore in the current form we know tight now. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Whitechapel or Parkway Drive are drivel compared to what Converge are doing. They meld true metal with awesome hardcore music. "All We Love We Leave Behind" is a true masterpiece. I have spun this about a hundred times. I cannot believe it took me so long to get into these guys. Of course they are from Massachusetts. What metalcore band worth anything isn't? I bought this and then discovered that this made everyone's top pick for album of the year. So of course now I have to go get the rest of their catalog, including "Jane Doe". I really like this album and Converge have definitely become more than a blip on my radar. Excellent album.

My overall impression of the lyrics surely seem to fit the title. Songs like Empty On The Inside show that possibly Jacob is realizing the immortality of youth is slowly fading away... "Empty on the inside... Hunting-for all my life... What made me whole is slipping through my hands... Youth leaves us all as this death commands". Which I feel fits the title perfectly. Jacob Bannon is definitely getting it in on this album. Reading the lyrics and listening to him scream - I get it. Mad about getting older. Actually the music and the singing compliment each other perfectly.

Any artist you could compare them too are most likely influenced by Converge. Kurt Ballou's guitar playing is top notch. The rhythm section of Ben and Nate might be favorite ever. "Aimless Arrow", "Vicious Muse", and "Coral Blue" are just a few of the impressive songs. But the album as a whole is killer. I could do without "Precipice" but it is still alright. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. And I will buy the rest of their catalog as well. Converge have completely shown why they have staying power and why every album they put out makes the top of everyone's year end list.