Jane Doe Review

artist: Converge date: 05/27/2004 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Converge: Jane Doe
Released: Sep 4, 2001
Genre: Rock
Style: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal
The fourth official studio album from a legend in the world of metallic hardcore.
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Jane Doe Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2003

Sound: I`ve never heard anything this brutal! Tracks like opener "Concubine", "Heaven In Her Arms" and "Thaw" show Converge`s winning formula of ultra high-pitched, sub-human vocals, battering guitar riffs and hernia-inducing drums. However, unlike most grindcore/noise bands, Converge arn`t afraid to experiment, like on the epic title track. // 10

Lyrics: Lyric-wise, this albumn is again outstanding, with intelligent, metaphorical lyrics. Vocalist Jacob Bannon`s vicious delivery makes many song lyrics almost impossible to understand without the printed versions with the CD! // 8

Overall Impression: To put it simply, "Jane Doe" is a masterpiece. No other metal band today would dare to make a record that is on one hand insanely heavy, but on the other experimental and genre-bending. Tracks like "Concubine", "Fault and Fracture", "Homewrecker", "Phoenix in Flight" and "Jane Doe" are, in a metal scene full of copycats like Chevelle, the backwards-looking crap-meisters like Jet and the sheer horror of Nickleback, not so mucha breath but a storm of fresh air. If you listen to Dillinger Escape Plan 24-7 and call Slayer a "pop band" or you`re more at home with bands like Thursday and Finch, you simply have to own this record. // 10

Jane Doe Reviewed by: sick steve, on may 27, 2004

Sound: The sound of these tracks is amazing! It's very rare that you will hear anything this brutal in a time of "metal" bands dominating the mainstream. Jane Doe is a wake up call to all like minded musicians to get out there and do something original and hopefully something special. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic. It's just too bad that a lot of them are lost through the screaming which brings me to my next point. The vocals are relentless! I don't know how anyone could keep this up (except for Grady from Will Haven.) // 10

Overall Impression: A band/album like this is hard to beat. In my opinion it comes close to the flawless 'Calculating Infinity' by Dillinger Escape Plan which in my book makes you a pretty damn good band! I can't believe I only discovered Converge now. I feel like I've been missing out for so long. // 10

More Converge reviews rating latest review
+ You Fail Me 9.8 04/03/2015