No Heroes review by Converge

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
Converge: No Heroes

Converge's "No Heroes" is their newest release to date, and while it's not their most innovative or original album, it still ranks up there as one of their better cd's, especially considering how many they've put out in their 19 years as a band. I absolutely love the opening riff in the first song "Heartache." Kurt Ballou's style and innovative technique still amaze me every time I listen to it, or any of his other songs for that matter. Bottom line, their sound is unrivaled in the world of "technical hardcore/metal" bands.

Jacob Bannon's lyrics aren't exactly the most original or catchy lyrics I've ever heard, but who bothers with this bands lyrics anyways? His distorted vocals can get annoying at times, depending on the song, but overall he's not a horrible vocalist or lyricist. I suppose his lyrics go well with the music, but they aren't nearly as creative or strange as the music. Most of his lyrics appear to be about girls and heartbreak. Who doesn't love that?

Overall, this band is nearly incomparable to any other band I've heard before. That being said, I probably need to broaden my horizons in terms of genre's. The best songs (in my opinion) on this album would be "Concubine," "Fault and Fracture," "Homewrecker," "Phoenix In Flight," and the title track "Jane Doe." I don't think I can find anything I legitimately hate about this album, other than the fact that I'm completely jealous of Kurt Ballou as a guitarist. And if it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. And if you haven't bought this album yet, and you want to get into Converge, go buy this album first. Only after you buy it should you start collecting vinyls of theirs and being uber l33t like everyone else. Oh, and don't get addicted to collecting vinyls on Ebay, it's really bad for your health.

Brasseye81
    The very definition of an album that requires a couple of listens. Great album, jaw dropping and unusual guitar work from Kurt B.
    jibran
    Concubine," "Fault and Fracture," "Homewrecker," "Phoenix In Flight," and the title track "Jane Doe. What? Dude, wrong album.
    speedmetal777