Animosity review by Corrosion of Conformity

• Released: Oct 25, 1985
Corrosion of Conformity: Animosity

Many notable thrash albums were released in 1985, such as Exodus' "Bonded By Blood," Megadeth's "Killing Is My Business And Business Is Good," Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease," Overkill's "Feel The Fire," Slayer's "Hell Awaits," D.R.I.'s "Dealing With It" and S.O.D.'s "Speak English Or Die." But one of the albums that made the biggest impact on both the thrash and punk scene has to be Corrosion Of Conformity's second album "Animosity." C.O.C. was one of the most acclaimed bands to emerge from the East Coast of the U.S. when thrash metal and hardcore punk were breaking into the mainstream in the '80s, and this colossal album contains some of the fastest, most heaviest and headbanging catchy riffs ever put on a record that's less than 30 minutes long. Woody Weatherman's guitar tones and Reed Mullin's thrashing drum beats are pretty inspiring, while Mike Dean's fast bass tunes and unique vocals, rabid screaming and yelling have lots of character that adds to the overall mood and feeling of "Animosity." It's such a shame that C.O.C. never got to continue this punk rock style after their 1987 EP "Technocracy," but at least they're still getting the recognition they deserved.

You either like Mike Dean's vocals or hate them. I actually like them. Lyrically, "Animosity" is completely both thrash and hardcore, with topics ranging from corruption ("Mad World") to a child not worshiping anything ("Hungry Child"). The lyrics, as well as the vocals, almost fit very well with the music, making the album stronger. Even though Mike Dean is a bass player, he sings almost perfectly well on this album, but the only thing that I don't like about it is when he mumbles his words at times, making the lyrics hard to understand.

Even though "Animosity" is now 28 years old, it is one of the most essential hardcore punk/crossover records of the '80s and a very decent one that's worth checking out. Everything on it lives up to expectations, being fast, heavy, and loud. My favorite songs on "Animosity" are probably "Loss For Words," "Mad World", "Holier," "Positive Outlook," "Prayer," "Intervention" and "Hungry Child." If you are a punk or metalhead that doesn't have this album or have never heard of C.O.C., then I suggest that you get a copy of it. I'm sure you can probably find it at your local record store and if not then you can just find it online. Don't wait any longer, get it now. If stolen, I would definitely buy a new a copy of "Animosity" or just download it and record it on a blank CD.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

SuicidalFreak
    Awesome review, MetalDiablo! I love Corrosion of Conformity and I agree that Animosity is a classic.
    MetalDiablo666
    Thanks, dude! I've been listening to this album for years; not only do I consider it a classic, but listening to it all the time inspired me to finally review it here on UG.
    Gerard Way Jr
    For as long as you've been listening, you could've said a taaad bit more in this review about the actual style/inner workings of the record, rather than making broad generalizations like "you like it or hate it" or "these are the best songs." Well, you're implying with a 10/10 that you either like it or like it. Another thing that bothered me was "...he mumbles his words at times, making the lyrics hard to understand" is a *negative* about this record, and yet you still gave it a 10/10. I don't mean to sound rude, but statements like that sound fanboyish, rather than analytic. In the first paragraph, however, you nailed it with both brevity and specificity. Just a few thoughts.