The Current Will Carry Us review by Counterparts

• Released: Oct 24, 2011
Counterparts: The Current Will Carry Us

Initially I wasn't extremely fond of this album. Compared to their first CD ("Prophets"), it was a shift in style. The same technical melodic hardcore sound is there but the production on "The Current Will Carry Us" is drastically different. The production is less polished and more natural and raw. This was at first a turn off but it slowly grew on me. The production is by no means "bad", it just is less digital and refined. As far as the music goes, "The Current Will Carry Us" is beautifully written and is a refreshing breath of life into the metal/hardcore scene. With so many bands now a days looking for the next massive breakdown, Counterparts brings the listener in with heartfelt lyrics and super melodic chord progressions and leads. This album has so much feeling in it and that is what makes it stand out from the rest. It doesn't just feel like 5 guys writing music. As a guitarist I love how many tasty little riffs there are and great chord progressions there are in this album. The drumming is fast and compliments the music perfectly as well.

The lyrics in this album are about all sorts of emotional struggles and things along those lines. There vocalist has an amazing voice for this style of music. He has a desperate tone in his voice that fits the lyrics. One of the strongest areas of this album lyrically is in the song "Reflection". The instruments take a back seat for this track and the vocals really shine through. The vocalist doesn't have much range but somehow it doesn't get annoying or monotonous. Their guitarist also contributes some vocals to this album (as well as their last album).

Overall, this album is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. If it were to be lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again without thinking twice. The standout songs on the album are the constant, the disconnect, reflection, and sinking. Every song on the album is good but those songs are some of my favorite picks. In a metal scene dominated by bands such as Asking Alexandria, Counterparts is a standout act that needs to be discovered and exposed. These guys need to be big, they deserve it with all the emotion they put into every track.