Hard Candy Review

artist: Counting Crows date: 06/12/2008 category: compact discs
Counting Crows: Hard Candy
Release Date: Jul 9, 2002
Label: Geffen
Genres: American Trad Rock, Alternative Country-Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Hard Candy is both a radical departure from the band's previous method of recording.
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
Hard Candy Reviewed by: kingale, on june 07, 2006

Sound: Well, as me and one other extremely sensible person seem to be the only ones reviewing the Counting Crows, I think I should review another of their albums. As I have already told you the Counting Crows are an amazing soft rock band that have produced hits such as Hanginaround, Rain King and Colorblind. As always, you cannot go wrong with the counting crows sound, and this album is no excpetion. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Hard Candy are again genius Adam Duritz plays with a combination of clever language and emotion to produce a unique style. A particular point of interest is on Butterfly in Reverse, when Duritz combined with Ryan Adams to produce something entirely unique! I could never give these amazing lyrics anything less than 10. // 10

Overall Impression: Well overall I am again impressed by the Counting Crows ability to produce another amazing album. The songs blend well and the music is just how it always is. However I was a tad dissappointed that the Big Yellow Taxi cover was a added as a hidden track at the end of the album. Considering the surprising quality of the cover, it feels a dissappointment for it too be shoved on the end. So this maybe isn't my favourite album by the Counting Crows, but it definitely is a good album. // 9

Hard Candy Reviewed by: Irish Dman, on june 12, 2008

Sound: The Counting Crows what a band! I'd say they are probebly One of the most underated bands in terms of sound, quality of lyrics, setting the mood for a song and the effects they put into there songs. If you hear any of there albums you will realise that this band is something special and are great to relax to and just chill-out! The album Hard Candy in my opinion is there best and not because it has the song Big Yellow Taxi but because of the emotions of joy, love, sorrow and regret. An example of all these emotions would be the fantastic song Miami, which in the song Adam Duritz explains about his past love and how they would argue but that he does not care about her anymore because of his new love. Another song with the emotions of sorrow and regret would be Black And Blue which (along with the song Carraige) is the most relaxing song on the album, where Adam Duritz talks about how this person has low confidence and how he could break at anytime. 'You look a lot like you Shatter in the blink of an eye'. Goodnight LA is another very relaxing song which also talks about love again, but the one song in my opinion that stands out for the theme of love and just moving on with life is Holiday In Spain. // 10

Lyrics: Adam Duritz in this album is fantastic. With every song in this album you can feel the emotion he put's into everyone of them, the love, joy, happiness, sadness, and the sorrow. These emotions are clearly displayed on every song for example in Up All Night, he talks about the summer and about his love and the clthes that she wears and that he would like her eyes to open wide as soon as she sees him, but if she doesnt't you just hve to move on in life. And this album shows why I think Adam Duritz is a very underrated singer and shows his emotions like very few other vocalists. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion this album is perfect if you would like to just chill-out, relax and talk to someone because that is what this album is relaxation! Every song on this album is equally perfect in it's own right but if I were to pick one that really stands out it would have to be 'Four White Stallions' because of the imagery, effects and the overall sound of the band as a group of musicans. If this album was lost or stolen I woulb be lost because it is one of my faorite albums of alltime and I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

Comments