Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings review by Counting Crows

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Counting Crows: Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

Counting Crows is back after 5 years without releasing any studio album, and no comeback could have been better than this one: a 2-CD set divided clearly into two halves, named Saturday Nights And Sunday Mornings. The first part, Saturday Nights, is full of dark, angry songs, that reflect all those feelings that Adam Duritz has deep inside of him. The three guitars, the piano, nd the drums show bitterness in just the right ammount, with furious riffs that leave your mind full of that power that CC's second album, Recovering the Satellites, had showcased back in the 90's. Some songs, such as Cowboys, have an intrincate complexity that is achieved with various layers of well-performed music. Sunday Mornings, on the other side, is more of an acoustic set, but this does not mean they unplugged their electric guitars and played the songs. This half is full of delicate instrumentation, and is more melodic than the first one; nevertheless, some of the songs have a faster beat, and some others, such as the first single "You can't Count On Me" or "Come Around" return to the electric guitars and rock the hell out of everybody.

Duritz Lyrics are as tortured and angst-filled as always, but he somehow manages to avoid making they sound repetitive. He still puts as much or more emotion into the singing as when he was younger, and the lyrics really suit the music. Some phrases still remain strange to me, such as "Shes A Carnival-Diver" (what the heck is that supposed to mean?) from On A Tuesday in Amsterdam Long Ago.

Overall, Saturday Nights is a little better than Sunday Mornings, but the whole album is a true masterpiece that deserves to be remembered and it is at the same level as August And Everything After or Recovering the Satellites, though this will be hard to admit for most CC fans, that have those great, great albums buried deep inside their mind, heart and soul. Cowboys is one of the best songs on the first half and Ballet D'Or is one of the most complex songs out of both halves, and shows the versatility the Crows have managed to accomplish through their long carrier. I would definitely get this album again if I lost it! Get this album. You wont be disappointed and you will find it was truly worth the waiting. I know I did.

sambargun
    Didnt listen to the album, but this was a good review. Finally someone writes something relevant about the musicians and their influences in relation to the music. Please do some more reviews.....
    lesbian_men
    love the counting crows...although i find it somehow difficult to think that this could rival 'recovering the satellites'...i guess ill just have to buy it, and i would be happy if i were proved wrong
    pigmaggots
    Is it only me that thinks that recovering satellites isn't that good? I'm a fan of all CC's albums but that album isn't the best IMO. This album took a fair few listens for me to get, just because it has everything in terms of varying tempos...melodies...styles...genres. Any CC's fan should go buy this album, this band are not past their best yet!
    whibley
    hmm ive never really heard any of their albums i mite look into them....
    flyingjo21
    pigmaggots wrote: Is it only me that thinks that recovering satellites isn't that good? I'm a fan of all CC's albums but that album isn't the best IMO.
    That's my favorite album by them! I'm haven't checked this album out yet but can't wait to hear it
    Haanz
    zeppelinfan7777
    I think this is their best album yet i love it every song on it is something new keep it coming adam
    pigmaggots
    Haanz wrote: pigmaggots : Is it only me that thinks that recovering satellites isn't that good? I'm a fan of all CC's albums but that album isn't the best IMO. Naw, you're not alone. To be honest, I only really like a few tracks from that album. Saturday Nights is probably the first album that I've come close to really liking as much as August & Everything After.
    I dunno, I really like hard candy! i really like this desert life aswell, which i heard was an album that everyone hated? Obviously august and everything after is up there aswell!
    potty_pete24
    i think this album is good but not fantastic still worth buying though i would say this desert life is my favourite
    randomzm
    pigmaggots
    randomzm wrote: I really love the varying sounds in this album, but it just feels like AD is running out of things to sing about. He's repeating lines and using the same ideas. Even the best song on the album (imho), "when I dream of Michelangelo," is a line from "Angels of the Silences" from 3 albums earlier. still though, anything the crows put out is easily 147x better than what you'll ever hear on pop radio. great album
    Thats not exactly rehashing, thats taking one fish out of a pond and putting it in a new pond and watching it reproduce in a different way.
    acade365
    this desert life is a greatly underrated album. it has some songs that are really good.