This Desert Life Review

Counting Crows: This Desert Life
Release Date: Nov 2, 1999
Label: Interscope
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock
This Desert Life is another retro effort by a traditionalist band, but it's actually their most individual and finest album yet.
 7.9
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
This Desert Life Reviewed by: kingale, on june 01, 2006

Sound: Well, the users of Ultimate Guitar are clearly deprived in their music if they have not heard the Crows. This Desert Life is an amazing album. Whether you are into rap or death metal, you cannot avoid being swayed by the outrageous sound of the Counting Crows. If you were asked to descibe what genre they fitted in to, you would have to place it somewhere along the lines of upbeat acoustic rock. Although August and Everything After is perhaps the more famous album, I think that Desert Life is just as good, and I prefer it because it is more upbeat. // 10

Lyrics: Adam Duritz it clearly one of the best lyricists in the world. Not once in the whole of desert life was there a moment when I thought the lyrics seemed out of place or innappropriate. Moreover the lyrics always have a great deal of meaning behind them and were clearly written with much time and care. Duritz sings in a style unique and perfect for the music that can both send fast rhythms running and the slower tunes filled with an emotional flow. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is very clear, you cannot find better music than that by the Counting Crows, in particular Desert Life. I would recommend everyone to buy this album and if you like it there is further listening in Hard Candy and August and Everything After. The only slight quibble I have with this album is that there is a hidden track at the end of the album, but that would not mar my opinion of this album at all. Were this album stolen I would definitely buy another one. // 10

Comments