Bitter Suites To Succubi review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: May 22, 2001
Cradle of Filth: Bitter Suites To Succubi

Somehow, Cradle Of Filth never fail to entertain me, and this EP is once again no exception. But let me tell you first why this is a milestone release in all of Cradle Of Filth's career: "Bitter Suites To Succubi" features exactly the same line-up as the 2000 recording "Midian". That's enough reason to get excited about this EP.

One can only hope that means the revolving door of members is finally coming to a halt with this definitive sextet. We've got Dani on vocals, Paul and Gian on the guitars, Martin providing the "suicide notes" and "broken heart strings", Robin playing the bass and Adrian behind the drumkit. With a playing time of 49:34 this is, (as Ralf pointed out) more of an album in disguise really, rather than an EP. Allegedly, the band recorded this solely on fan-request, and initially, it was only meant to consist of the 6 new tracks, but they ended up adding the Sisters Of Mercy cover "No Time To Cry" and three re-recordings of old classics as "Summer Dying Fast", "The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh" and "The Black Goddess Rises II". The latter being a reworking rather than an actual re-recording.

The new songs are fantastic in my opinion. Martin delivers another class performance with "Sin Deep My Wicked Angel" before we are cast into the fires of hell with "All Hope In Eclipse", one of the highpoints of the EP. "Born In A Burial Gown" delves further into the vampiric theme, with a traditional verse-chorus style approach, and "Scorched Earth Erotica" is an aggressive closer to the album with a great outro. I don't like the cover-song as much, because it feels a bit out of place here, and "Dinner At Deviant's Palace" had great potential but is somewhat ruined by the vocal part. Instrumentally, this could have been Martin's masterpiece in here, but there is a reversed "Our Father" placed over it, spoken by a distorted child's voice (Dani's kid Luna to be more specific) which sounds awkward. That aside, "Bitter Suites To Succubi" peaks at the seventh track "Suicide And Other Comforts". Each and every member of the band puts a powerful performance on display here. There's room for every instrument to show off, while the song itself twists around into a fierce climax. "Suicide And Other Comforts" is an excellent example of Cradle Of Filth's composing skills. A must-listen-to! The re-recordings are on par with the new songs, "Summer Dying Fast" in particular. "The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh" is simply blast to hear, and "The Black Goddess Rises II" throws a bit of everything into the mix, from raging Thrash-riffage to dissonant mid-tempo ballad. Now I'm going to stick my neck out here, and claim this is actually much better than the "Midian" material. While "Midian" was very good (I own it, I love it), it lacked a certain aspect "Bitter Suites To Succubi" does seem to possess. It feels more aggressive and diabolical, perhaps due to the raw production (compared to "Midian"). The vocals are more up-front too, all over the place; as if Dani really is playing his vocal chords like an extreme instrument, the way it should be. Somehow, this record makes me feel like I'm evil myself (when in reality, I am of course the biggest wimp on this planet:p ), much like "Cruelty & The Beast" did to me. In the end, it comes down to personal preference of course, but I have found myself spinning "Bitter Suites To Succubi" a lot longer than the "Midian" opus. In conclusion, this is an excellent Cradle Of Filth release. Any fan should own it. And must I really mention "Vempire" in comparison? Okay then, it's no "Vempire", but it's no "From The Cradle To Enslave" either.

thev90
    ides-of-march
    man, why you gotta be like that?? if you dont like the band why would you go on this page? no one cares if you like them or not
    Firewall
    Well Thev. This means a lot coming from someone who likes bands like Fall Out Boy. FoB are as emo as you can get. The guy can't sing and they can play only the same recycled drum beats and guitar riffs. One Cradle fan can take on 10 Fall Out Boy fans anyday. Cradle fans are the furthest thing from emo. There is a huge HUGE difference between gothic kids and emo kids. Emo kids are so disspaired by their own life that they think cutting themselves, tight jeans, and faggot haircuts are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Gothic kids on the other hand are a group of kids who are not afraid of death or evil and actually have a life outside of their house and parents basement. So before you go around critisizing a band that has been around for the past almost 13 years and delievered some of the most brutal songs that metal has seen in some time, why don't you take a look at your music. Cause from the looks of it your just an closet case emo kid yourself.
    Firewall
    Well Thev. This means a lot coming from someone who likes bands like Fall Out Boy. Not all Cradle fans think they are vampire. A small precentage, of them something like 10% have vampiric thoughts and lifestyles. ICP is a horrible band yes but they deffinetly do not compare with Cradle.You listen to ****ing Fall Out Boy. FoB are as emo as you can get. The guy can't sing and they can play only the same recycled drum beats and guitar riffs. One Cradle fan can take on 10 Fall Out Boy fans anyday. Cradle fans are the furthest thing from emo. There is a huge HUGE difference between gothic kids and emo kids. Emo kids are so disspaired by their own life that they think cutting themselves, tight jeans, and faggot haircuts are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Gothic kids on the other hand are a group of kids who are not afraid of death or evil and actually have a life outside of their house and parents basement. So before you go around critisizing a band that has been around for the past almost 13 years and delievered some of the most brutal songs that metal has seen in some time, why don't you take a look at your music. Cause from the looks of it your just an closet case emo kid yourself.
    archangelseren
    the most successful english metal band since iron maiden. that must mean that im not the only one who likes em and you to
    blindman-07
    thev i dont no hu u r or were u live.but one day i will find out and when that day comes i will kill u.u pathetic low life peice of crap emo.tell ur gay emo friends that if any of them dis cof i will cut their heads of and piss down their throats.u sux
    6cradle6of6filt
    thev90 wrote: Cradle of Filth is the worst band ever to be signed to a label, or even make music period, anyone who likes cradle of filth is one of those losers that thinks they're a vampire or some dumb shit, anyone who is a fan of cradle of filth is worse than those people who like icp and call themselves juggalos, just stop, cradle of filth sucks so much im amazed anyone even likes them, my friends and i agree, people who like cradle of filth are just litlle emo-goth bitches that need their asses kicked, 'nuff said!
    How the hell has this not been classed as spam to start off with? And Thev id like to see you and ure gay fob listening emo shits actually take on 1 cof fan tbh. :L
    JIAC666
    This Thev mother****er posted shit like almost two years ago. But I hope that Cocksucker reads this. You need to go **** your mother, because if you don't, I will, and then I'll cut her throat for birthing such a pathetic spawn as you. And when I'm done cumming on her face, I will hunt down your entire ****ing family, torture them until their fragile little minds crack, commit with them the evils of the flesh and cut their skin off in one inch squares, perfectly measure to mail to you every day of your pathetic, destitue life. As for Cradle of Filth, they ****ing kick ass. Some of the sickest individuals I have ever come across and their music has completely changed my life. My single dream is to shred it up with Paul Allender(current guitar player) and shriek out some shit with Dani. They have been and will continue to be an eternal influence on my music, my life and who I am as an individual.
    Trivium_Child
    why are you here? nobody gives a crap bout your views on this. SHUN! SHUN! SHUN! oh and im guessing youre a preppy jerkoff who likes to think he and his boyfriends could kick CoF's asses when really youre too worried to wrinkle your designer shirt.
    BenjoJames
    Tbh I quite like Fall Out Boy, I think they're a good band with good songs. But this isn't about FoB, this about the almighty Cradle Of Filth. Metal Hammer magazine lauded them the most important British metal band since Iron Maiden, a statement which I myself, and undoubtedly many others, will deem completely justified