Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Nov 1, 2010
Cradle of Filth: Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa

This is the concept album centered around the story of a demon named Lilith. It is an exceptional Gothic theme for Cradle of Filth's ninth studio album. It is true gothic metal with symphonies accompanying some solid melodic black metal as usual but this album seems to be more evenly mixed than many in the past with the symphonies lightly adding tone to the songs and the guitars really being heard. There is a very dark yet melodic sound to the album and it seems to me that they have compiled everything good from the last couple of albums and left a lot of the weaker stuff out. Paul's guitar work on the album is particularly worth noting as it really adds to the songs to finally here some emphasis placed on guitars in some CoF. ALSO I was ecstatic to discover this album has no orchestral filler songs and a bare minimum of poetry narrations in contrast to godspeed which had a buttload of both.

The theme of this album is truly very dark and suits Cradle perfectly and the lyrics are the usual clever horror poetry. It is all quite intricate and well thought out which is excellent, lyrical complexity seems to be an ever continuing theme of this amazing band. Cradle would not be half as recognizable without Dani's shrieks and screeches which he can change to deep roars in an instant. His screaming has the usual depth with only one slight annoyance for me in the chorus of "forgive me father (I have sinned)" still this was a very small section.

I think this album has the potential to be as big as nymphetamine. They have trimmed a lot of the fat from their musical style to provide a strong sound with pulsating and extremely difficult drums, guitar with epic tone (including numerous solos for a change!), the usual diverse singing (including the hallowing female vocals)and beautiful song building symphonic layers. Nothing is really weak or able to be complained about. I love the fact that they took the strength and aggression of godspeed and added the tone of thornography which is taking the best from each. This is the sound I've been hoping for since nymphetamine. Favorite songs include church of the sacred heart, deceiving eyes and harlot on a pedestal. This angle for Cradle truly made me very happy!