Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Nov 1, 2010
Cradle of Filth: Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa

A release much anticipated: Cradle of Filth's ninth studio album is out through Peaceville Records after their successful venture called Godspeed on The Devil's Thunder. There were rumours regarding the title of this album, few claiming it to be All Hallows Eve because of the release date being close to Halloween. In the end, Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa (which the album is actually named) shows the true strengths of COF. The album is one of those with Paul's brutal riffs and eerie use of keyboards. I was really surprised, however, that it didn't start off with an instrumental rather a 7 minute epic The Cult of Venus Aversa with an introductory narration and blistering blast beats. The song really sets the pace for the coming songs. Another deviation from previous releases is the absence of interludes. COF songs get connected well with such interludes and they could've placed some in the middle. Speaking of the instruments, the album displays a harmony between gothic, spooky melodies, brutal riffs and vicious drumming and blast beats. Many of the songs start off with piano sections and really set the tone for the remainder of the song. The Persecution Song is one such. The piano intro slowly morphs into a slow paced yet heavy riff. This album also features more guitar solos and the guitar works are much more technical than previous albums. Apart from the crushing riffs, Paul and James also engage in guitar harmonies, for what COF is famous for. They make good use of the harmonies in Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned).

A concept album, Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa deals with the mythological demon called Lilith. The opening song is great because it acts like a liner note- drawing the listeners to the real concept behind it. On contrary, this album doesn't deal with historical references rather, as Dani mentioned; it's about the resurgence of Lilith into modern society as a deity. Also, the songs are referred to as a dark tapestry of horror, madness and twisted sex. And, the album performs really well as a whole with its concept and Dani yet again showed his prowess when it comes to lyrics. Dani's vocal delivery has changed a lot. Back in the old days, he cast out demonic shrieks that Satan himself would be scared of. But nowadays, it's one which is more mainstream- a mixture of growls and the occasional shrieks but nothing like the old stuffs. He also used some gruff vocals in the song Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned).

Overall, this is a really good album, I would say, better than Godspeed on The Devil's Thunder. I would say, through this release, COF are somewhat back to their old days where they used to employ lots of melodies and keyboard works. This album displays hints of such reunion. However, it would've been much better if they stuck to their previous track formats and included keyboard interludes to glue all the songs together and make them coherent. But, this is still a really good release and it's really worth buying.

oldschoolthrash
    Sweet, I had the block of cheese and no way to shred it.
    HoneyofRuin
    The UG is actually quite horrendous. It's lacking and doesn't seem to go into much depth concerning the album. Especially the area aimed toward the lyrical aspect. I think a 6.3 is a very low score for Cradle as they do what they do very, very well and they exceed at it where other bands fail. My opinion.
    Amuro Jay
    bcapek
    ooh, listened to CoF a lot before huh? then you turned 15, what, a week ago? bro i been listenin to cradle since you were in diapers, and trust me, they have been shit for the last 10 years plus. do yourselves a favor, all of you. listen to their old, old shit. unless you like this new garbage, then just enjoy thornagrophy and godspeed.
    DifferentWorld
    henkka_potku
    Astyan
    Haven't checked the album yet, but I can safely say that it has one of the worst album names ever.
    EpiExplorer
    Lulz. Anyway, rather surprising and good effort from Cradle of Garbage but Dani filth is still a numptie.
    atreyumetallica
    great album i dont get why many ppl are hateing there pretty much the best at wut they do and if u dont liek wut they do then keep it to yourself and go and hate on real shit like justin beiber and kesha!
    Mahoru
    Just finished listening to it for the first time, and I have to say, it's much better than I expected. It's nowhere near their best work (I'd say it's more or less as good as Nymphetamine, which was the last album I liked), but it's definitely a big improvement over their last works; more than decent, though not much really exciting here. Nice try though, at least it's enjoyable for the most part.
    kurtshapedbox
    DifferentWorld wrote: I used to listen to CoF a lot more. Then I turned fifteen and realized that I can't take them seriously if they're going to honestly think of themselves the way they do. That being said, if I don't listen to them when they talk, they're still worth a listen on occasion. Incidentally, the UG review sounds a little pretentious to me. 'Paradigm of metal vocal mastery'? Was it really so hard to just say he's a good singer?
    this.
    seemeel
    DifferentWorld wrote: I used to listen to CoF a lot more. Then I turned fifteen
    :haha:
    NoMoreNoMore66
    apparently this review is unfamiliar with cradle of filth. dani does the high pitched screams. have you ever heard any of their songs from any previous albums?
    NShore
    Let Paul Allender shred it for you, I hear he does that.
    Abyssous
    Album isnt too bad, seems much more like thrash than melodic. Just a note, Ashley doesnt do the female vocals on here, it's Lucy Atkins.
    Lion_Slicer
    I'm tempted to get this just because of Ashley Ellyllon... She was a big part of what made Abigail Williams appealing to me, and her work with Dan Briggs in ORBS is pretty brilliant... she's one of the most intriguing up-and-coming musicians to me, so I'm eager see how she does in such a high-profile band.
    khujo1023
    I'm really not a huge fan, i've listened to all of their albums throughout the years, nothing i've kept in constant rotation. But I really like this album, has good riffs, a lot of doomy background melodies and entertaining vocals. Great effort, kind of cheesy but fun nonetheless..... ooooo SATAN!
    Disturbdkornkid
    If it's anything like Midian or Damnation and a Day then I will definitely give it a listen, but I kinda grew out of CoF a while back. Still don't mind them when they come on my ipod on random.
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: Bands that do everything basically. SYL = Extreme metal.
    OK that too.Anyway I'm not gonna get this,its just to 1860s for me.
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: Greenfinger182 wrote: Genre: Extreme Metal. I don't think I've ever heard of this one... Thrash,Black,Death,Doom=Extreme Metal.
    Bands that do everything basically. SYL = Extreme metal.
    krvolok
    Thrash,Black,Death,Doom=Extreme Metal.
    henkka_potku
    jetfuel495 wrote: henkka_potku wrote: oldschoolthrash wrote: leonituscof2 wrote: this is anouther grate album from a grate band all cradle fans must buy it. Sweet, I had the block of cheese and no way to shred it. This comment made me laugh out loud. Not so surprisingly my comment criticizing this release was deleted. Ah well.Actually, if you had posted a comment and it was removed, then it'd show it on the "comments posted" bar. Since the bar doesn't show that any comments have been removed, your comment probably never even made it through.
    Oh. Some minor network failure then.