Dusk & Her Embrace review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Jan 21, 1997
Cradle of Filth: Dusk & Her Embrace

"We wanted this album to transcend the way a normal album would sound," says lead vocalist Dani. "We wanted is to sound almost inhuman, like a film score. You can listen to it watching a Dracula movie with she sound down or watching something cataclysmic, like War Of The Worlds." Dig your teeth into the dark whirlwind of "A Gothic Romance (Red Roses For The Devil's Whore)," "Malice Through The Looking Glass," "The Graveyard By Moonlight" and "Haunted Shores." Be afraid, be very afraid.

This is some really scary shit! As first, I felt as if I had entered into a spook, cobweb-laden haunted house as the instrumental "Humana Inspired To Nightmare" creaked and howled through my speakers, but then I quickly realized that I had happened upon something far worse. I was teetering on the fiery lip of hell itself as "Heaven Torn Asunder" began to scream bloody murder and reverberate off the walls. I'm almost positive that if you listen so this stuff too long, you'll go insane. Discordant, double-barrel blasts of white-hot percussive fury hammer around indiscernible howls and growls, while intermittent doom-y instrumental breaks and goth-inspired spoken word segments seep in through the cracks and crevices of the charred, twin-guitar backdrop. Describing its own music as "supreme vampyric evil," Cradle Of Filth has become one of the biggest, most respected and feared European black death metal bands around.

Skullshrinker
    this is my favorite cradle's album...all songs rule, and vocals on "haunted shores" are very frightening !
    Angel Of Sin
    best cradle album but i certainly wouldnt call it death metal at all, its far more black metal that anything else.