Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Oct 27, 2008
Cradle of Filth: Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder

Let's begin by saying I'm the biggest Cradle of Filth fan. I did buy this album when I heard a couple of songs off the album, and heard how melodic this music has become. Cradle of Filth by themselves are an interesting band to say the least. They do everything they can to be repulsive, hence the black metal genre label they first received. Yet they are still extremely successful, one the the most successful British metal bands since Iron Maiden. This album is a concept album based upon Gilles de Rais. He was a French soldier who fought besides Joan of Arc in the war against the British. He was a holy man who fell from grace once Joan was burned at the stake. He began to get involved in black magic and evil, committing evils of the flesh, etc. Overall, an intriguing concept for an album. Maybe not the most original, but interesting nonetheless.

Dani Filth has some pretty incredible vocal skills. On this album, he goes from a little bit of growling and a second later is screeching again, the signature Cradle of Filth vocal sound. The lyrics are extremely well written, though sometimes, they seem to clash with the overall goal of the instrumentation, they still fit well enough. And they obviously revolve around the story. The most notable set of vocals is on "The Death of Love" which is going by possible rumors of Gilles de Rais obsession, if not love affair with Joan of Arc. The song features Sarah Jezebel Deva who sings the part of Joan, as she is accused, convicted, and burned at the stake. There is so much emotion in this song, and various levels of intensity, which make it so important.

This is the most melodic Cradle of Filth album I've heard talked about, and it definitely provides the right amount of melody and chaos all in the same song. Some of the most notable songs are: "The Death of Love" "13th Caesar" "Honey and Sulfur" and "Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder." I love the chaos mixed in with emotion and melody. Versus an onslaught of the same song 12 times on the same album. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again.

Necromanga
    PanteraRebel wrote: this is an awesome album **** u reviewers you dont know shit what ur talking bout
    Totally! This album is my fav!
    bluntstrike
    deadmansdiary wrote: hmm well if you thought thornography was their best album i just wasted my time reading that review. As for not being able to understand the lyrics, no shit. Has everyone but me forgotten that cradle of filth was once a grim black metal machine!
    only during the days on the principle of evil made flesh.. Im not a Filth fan.. But since ive heard that Ashley Ellyllon from Abigail Williams is now playing for them, I listened to the new album. After a few tunes, I was hooked..
    rkk94
    i liked nymphetamine, thornography, and godspeed on the devil's thunder MUCH more than their earlier albums like the principle of evil made flesh, or dusk and her embrace. actually i dont even like their earlier albums now that i think about it...
    Abyssous
    rkk94 wrote: actually i dont even like their earlier albums now that i think about it...
    What the HELL is wrong with you?