Live Bait For The Dead Review

Cradle of Filth: Live Bait For The Dead
Released: Sep 3, 2002
Label: Abracadaver
Genres: Heavy Metal, Goth Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
it's a high-quality recording, and the performance and set list are impeccable, but it's ultimately redundant, and strictly for fans only.
 9.8
 9.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Live Bait For The Dead Reviewed by: kurtshapedbox, on september 27, 2005

Sound: When I picked this up from a used CD store I was a bit sceptical. I like Cradle alot but with all of the orchestrations I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off. I was very wrong though, the CD sounds great and guitars, bass, vocals, drums, etc. are all right on and near perfect. Of course for the music itself its still pure hell (said in a good way) and very impressive. The second CD is more of a bonus Cd with remixes and demos. Some of its a bit too un-filth like but 90% of it is really great, especially the new mix of Born In A Burial Gown. // 10

Lyrics: I've always admired Dani's writing skills, the stuff sounds like something staight out of the bible, ok maybe like the bible of satan. As for vocals Dani has wicked growls, and his high pitched scream send shivers down my spine. // 10

Overall Impression: If your a fan of cradle I would definately suggest that you add this to you CD rack immediately. It's a great CD and I have nothing but praise for it. // 10

Live Bait For The Dead Reviewed by: LukeElliff, on august 19, 2009

Sound: Well, for those who don't know, this contains the bands live album "Eleven Burial Masses" and a bonus CD with extra tracks on. The setlist for the live disc is as follows: 01.Intro - The Ceremony Opens 02.Lord Abortion 03.Ebony Dressed for Sunset 04.The Forest Whispers My Name 05.Cthulhu Dawn 06.Dusk and Her Embrace 07.The Principal of Evil Made Flesh 08.Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids 09.Her Ghost in the Fog 10.Summer Dying Fast 11.Interlude - Creatures That Kissed In Cold Mirrors (Also Satanic Mantra) 12.From The Cradle to Enslave 13.Queen of Winter, Throned Fans of Cradle of Filth will be able to notice that this album contains some of the bands heaviest/fastest songs and those who watch the DVD of this will be able to see the stage entertainment provided in Queen of Winter, Throned. Overall, the album presents a fast tempo and shows the band plays amazing live. Personally, I am drawn to Dani's vocals throughout, as he uses extreme vocal range continuously at levels better than on their studio albums, which shows how much energy they put into their shows. A great live album, one worth listening to if you havn't alredy heard it. The second CD is just another "alternate version" CD in my opinion. The track list is as follows: 01.Born in a Burial Gown (The Polished Coffin Mix) 02.No Time to Cry (Sisters of no Mercy Mix) 03.Funeral In Capathia (Soundcheck Recording) 04.Deleted Scenes of a Snuff Princess 05.Scorched Earth Erotica (Original Demo(n) Version) 06.Nocturnal Supremacy (Soundcheck Recording) 07.From the Cradle to Enslave (Under Martial Rule mix) 08.The Fire Still Burns (Twisted Sister cover) As you can see, this album is just demos, which everyone knows is just the same song but with deliberately sloppy vocals and over distorted guitars, and people having a laugh with their songs. These CDs are both good to listen to, but the latter will always be overshadowed by Eleven Burial Masses. // 10

Lyrics: These are perhaps the main reason why I love CoF so much. The sophistication and complexity of the lyrics produced throughout the setlist are amazing, especially considering the album contains songs from their promo album (From The Cradle to Enslave) all the way to the Midian album released just before the recording of this album (Cthulhu Dawn, Lord Abortion, Her Ghost in the Fog, Creatures that Kissed in Cold Mirrors and Satanic Mantra). One thing I would caution listeners about is the content of the lyrics, as you should know, imigary is a key part of these lyrics and, as amazing as they are, shouldn't be played around young children. For example: "I slit guts guts and free the moistest facces Corrupt the corpse and seize the choicest pieces Her alabaster limbs that dim the lit carnal grin Vaginal skin to later taste and masturbate within" These lyrics from Lord Abortion, as entertaining as they are, are quite disturbing, yet thats what makes CoF so impressive. The lyrics do sync well with the song, especially in the faster paced songs, look at Cthulhu Dawn for an excelent example of that. My favourite lyrics in the album which are on Summer Dying Fast, where it goes: "I watch the storm approaching The darkness calls my name The trees are growing restless They feel the season change Their fruit has putrified Forbidden once and bound to die The thread of life lies severed On the brink of paradise" This part of the song is played with spoken vocals and low growls, but the background music, which is a simple soft drum and bass line, with some notes from the keyboard overtop really impress me. In terms of singing talent, I would have to say that Dani is an amazing singer, yet he doesn't sing the songs as they are recorded. Personally, the live versions are better in my ears as they have alot more energy and as live performances always sound better live, I can only imagine the intensity that was put into the show that night. Although Dani does like to change the pitch of his voice, it does come with some downsides. These are hard to discover though, but if you listen to this album ALOT (like I do) you will notice that from Dusk and Her Embrace to Her Ghost in the Fog, a fair few words are skipped. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one hell of an amazing album. I can't think of any live albums that would compare to it, but it, obviously, compares to their other albums as it contains what are considered the better tracks of their albums. The most impressive songs for me would have to be in this order: 01.Lord Abortion 02.From the Cradle to Enslave 03.Cthulhu Dawn 04.The Forest Whispers My Name 05.Summer Dying Fast. I love every song on this album (excluding the interlude and introduction which I shed no emotion for) as they are all great tracks that were performed to an excellent standard by CoF and have made my lust to see them live intensify greatly. However, there are a couple of songs that weren't on there that I would have liked to have heard live, those being Saffron's Curse and For Those Who Died. Both of these would have been automatic choices to play live for me, and I would have played one of them instead of Ebony Dressed for Sunset, or I would play both of them and not play Queen of Winter, Throned. If this album was stolen/lost I wouldn't be too concerned seeing as its backed up to my computer, I would just download the album art, print it out, get rid of a CD that I no longer need and then make myself a new copy of it. // 10

Comments