Midian review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Nov 14, 2000
Cradle of Filth: Midian

01.At the Gates of Midian: the instrumental introduction to the album. It set's a dark sort of atmosphere that prepares you for the rest of the album. ALthough not my favourite intro to a Filth album, it's still a good track. 02.Cthulhu Dawn: a great proper intro to the album, it really prepares you for what is to come. Easilly one of the best songs on the album. 03.Saffron's Curse: to be honest, I don't really like this song, don't know why but it just every time I listen I don't really listen to it, or even skip it. Neverless it is still a decent song, the beginning features some nice keys which gives it a unique sort of sound different to the other Cradle of Filth albums (much like many of the songs on the album) 04.Death Magick For Adepts: one of the top 3 songs on the album, this is one of the songs on the album that features Doug Bradley's excellent narratives. Nice fast song that is hard not too like. 05.Lord Abortion: features an atmospheric intro plus a quick piece of guest vocals from Dani Filth's wife. This song is another of the top 3 songs on the album. Full of varying lyrics and not afraid to actually stop being heavy for long passages. 06.Amor E Morte: another song that I haven't really paid much attention to. Personally, I don't feel that this is a very good song when compared to the other tracks, however, not too bad, it certainlly doesn't ruin the album for me. 07.Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors: the first instrumental on the album (after the intro of course), dark atmospheric, everything you'd expect from a Cradle of Filth, although much like At the gates of Midian it is not the greatest instrumental released by CoF, it is still certainlly a decent track. 08.Her Ghost In the Fog: the song that got me into Cradle of Filth, the piano intro is great, followed by the main part of the song as well as Doug Bradley's vocals. Then Dani's vocals, more toned down vocal-wise then other songs, but still very good. The final song in the top 3 of Midian. 09.Satanic Mantra: as a very short song, less than 1 minute long and just a chant being repeated over and over, it hardly counts as a song, however it is still good, with the build-up of the chanting. 10.Tearing the Veil from Grace: another track that really doesn't stand out to me, however still a decent song, with the nice sounding choir-like vocals beginning about halfway through the song. It ends abruptly, leading into the final song on the album. 11.Tortured Soul Asylum: the final song on the album, and the only song (That i've noticed) to directly reference Midian (Aside from the title of the At the Gates of Midian) a pretty standard Cradle of Filth song but that's not a bad thing. Yet another song that features Doug Bradley's wonderful vocals. This song has essentially everything that makes Cradle of Filth great: Dani's high shrieks and low growls, interesting lyrics, Doug Bradley narration, Sarah Jezebel Deva vocals.

The lyrics are your standard Cradle of Filth lyrics; wonderful, casting up vivid images through Dani's excellent way with words, the lyrics never become boring or repetive on any track. Dani's vocals are your standard Filth vocals, ranging from deep growls to high shrieks, and everything inbetween.

This is in my opinion one of Cradle's best albums, if not the best. I believe that the songs Lord Abortion and Her Ghost in the Fog deserve speciail mentions on this album, although there are no bad songs, just some songs are not as good. I love that this album features a unique sound (I want to say it's got an eastern feel, but I'm not sure if that's what it is...) The songs are excellent and I really wish I could have seen them perform these great songs live during the Midian era. This album is the first album that Adrian Erlandsson drums on and that Martin Powell provides keys on, as well as bringing the return of original guitarist: Paul Allender. Midian features a brilliant line-up, consisting of: Paul Allender, Adrian Erlandsson, Martin Powell, Gian Pyres, Robin Eaglestone, Sarah jezebel Deva, and of course Dani Filth. I thoroughly recommend this album to anybody who wishes to get into Cradle of Filth, or already has started listening but needs some good albums too listen to. If I were to lose this album, I would no doubt purchase a new copy.

GovikA
    Hey guys! i feel like writing my opinions, but not writing a review. So i basically love "At the Gates of Midian", "Cthulhu Dawn", "Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors", "Her Ghost in the Fog" (obviously), and "Tearing the Veil from Grace" All tracks deserve recognition, but these are my personal favorites. "At the Gates of Midian", at first, gives you a sense of dark depression, then towards the last minute or so, you hear the chords build and the choir raising voices and you can feel the goosebumps on your arms. "Cthulhu Dawn" features many amazing elements, such as high stung and symphonic intro, and screeching Dani, never failing. "Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors" features one of my favorite instrumental tracks, apart from "Portrait of a Dead Countess", and bleeds into "Her Ghost in the Fog" "Her Ghost in the Fog" is by far the most captivating song on this album, if not ever by Cradle of Filth. The guitars ringing... the bassist's solo/bridge/thing... the vocals... the LYRICS, a whole story inside a story! Truly remarkable! "Tearing the Veil from Grace": wow... simply stunning. The beginning and the choir (again with the choir, i know, but still!) and the melodic, symphonic, orchestrate death metal that no one hates. The beginning ends, but the high paced part starts and then the slow beginning with Dani screeching and yelling like he does best. The beginning-in-the-middle ends again but still leaves a valuable impression. The song does end rather suddenly, but it still is amazing. Definitely listen to the whole album, these songs, AND Cradle of Filth. Peace