Midian Review

9.4
 9.5
 9.2
Midian Reviewed by: morbid_death, on july 24, 2003

Sound: Anybody who says new-school Cradle of Filth is in no way up to the standard of old-school COF out to be shot because they obviously have never heard Midian. Definitely their greatest work since the somewhat downfall From the Cradle to Enslave. It starts with your typical COF atmospherical intro, then moves onto Cthulhu Dawn which gives you a taste of what you are in for. The next track Saffron's Curse which I find to be one of COF's more intense tracks with some awsome guitar work and some great poetical lines hidden within the verses. Also, Saffron's Curse is fit for the non-intense Black Metal fans as it appears that Dani Filth (vocalist) does not appear to do his trademark screeching in this track, its more of just a 'Dani Filth Scream', which is what makes this a great song proving that COF do not require to do their typical work to be able to make good music. // 10

Lyrics: Any body who says new-school COF is not as poetic as old-school COF, ie; Dusk and Her Embrace..., out to be skinned and hung by their through. Midian is full of these oldschool elements and the finest example is Her Ghost In The Fog, which is easily one of their greatest works. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album and shows the next step in Cradle of Filth's progression. // 10

Midian Reviewed by: The AfterLight, on july 28, 2005

Sound: This album got a pretty bad word, or at least how I heard. But this album is worth more than what you hear. Midian's sound reflects COF's sound on previous albums, and doesn't let down any improvements. The band produces a great sound in every instrument (that bass drum is a killer). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pure poetry. As poetic as Cradle Of Filth always produces, these lyrics are a break from the crap you hear today. The lyrics and music compliment each other. What is to be said of Dani? He's one of the most talented vocalists in metal, with an incredible range and vocal ability. The vocals on this album don't let down at all. // 10

Overall Impression: Some impressive songs include 'Cthulhu Dawn', 'Her Ghost In The Fog', 'Saffron's Curse', and 'Amor E Morte'. Overall, I am most impressed with the drumming and the vocals. Give Midian a try if you're a past Cradle Of Filth fan or just willing to try some new metal. // 10

Midian Reviewed by: Deaglese, on october 05, 2007

Sound: As allways CoF tends to surprise me with new dark guitar sounds, new glass-breaking singing from Dani and ofcourse new non-understandble lyrics and this album is not an exception. This is a concept album based on the book Cabal by Clive Barker and the movie based on it, Nightbreed. Every song is a story from different parts of the monster city of Midian as the song titles themself reveal, like "Lord Abortion" or "Tortured Soul Asylum". When you first put the CD into your stereo (or whatever) and press play, you hear nothing at first. But then after a few seconds you hear a little sound and as it grows louder you hear evil, twisted monks singing some undecipherable lyrics and you feel like you're in a monastary while the keyboard play some fast evil notes and the second excellent track "Cthulhu Dawn" begins. What I just explained was the first track, the instrumental song "At the Gates of Midian". The first half of Midian is an adventure through the city that you never want to stop but about half the songs is some what of a disapointment as it loses it's unique style and goes back to their old style, not that it's bad or anything but it's the style that makes the album so freaking great! The few last songs feel like they didn't put too much effort in them.But still, these are good and are just as listenable as the other songs tough. // 8

Lyrics: Ah, lyrics. This is probably CoF's or atleast Dani's specialty. As usual the titles and lyrics are non-logical, bizarre and perfect for this band and album. Dani sings the lyrics with such power and (can I say) elegance it will blow your brains out on the wall. Dani with his lively fantasy and breath-taking voice you don't need to understand the lyrics. But that little you can understand fits perfectly with the heavy, dark riffs and fast drums. Ah well, just listen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Midian is a great, no wait, it's probably one of the best albums out there and is a personal favourite of mine. It's dark and almost funky (sounds somewhat stupid when you talk about Cradle of Filth)and it's a mind trip that you won't forget or perhaps never forget with masterpieces like "Cthulhu Dawn", "Saffrons Curse", "Her Ghost In The Fog" and "Death Magick For Adepts". A small minus for the few songs that doesn't quite really fit in. Midian is a hell of a ride that won't stop anything. Get it now! // 9

Midian Reviewed by: jimmyled, on december 08, 2008

Sound: This is probably my favourite Cradle album along with Nymphetamine, I don't know why people don't like the new Cradle (except for Thornography which mostly sucked)as this album has just the right amount of Symphonic Black Metal sound: an amazing mix of heavy riffs and symphonic instruments, all put together in tracks such as "Her Ghost in the Fog", which I consider the best track in the album. Most of the tracks on the album merge into the next. 01.At the Gates of Midian: an eerie instrumental that gets you in the mood for Cradle, and then at the end merges into the next track. 8/10. 02.Cthulhu Dawn: cradle are not the first band to quote H. P. Lovecraft, like Metallica (using Cthulu too), Iron Maiden and lots of others. It's a pretty intense track with very cool riffs that merges into the next track too. 10/10 03.Saffron's Curse: a pretty weird track featuring some sort of chime in the main riff but it's nice though. Merges into the next track too. 8/10 04.Death Magick for Adepts: probably the second least favourite in the album, because of it repeating itself a lot (more than others) and having less cool tracks. Merges. 7/10 05.Lord Abortion: a very weird song, with a pretty long and a little boring intro, but features unusually good growls from Danny. Doesn't merge I think, it's hard to make out though. 9/10 06.Amor E Morte: Love and Death. My second favourite track in the album, and the only one at all I noticed to have a solo (I might have lost my concentration while listening to others, as I have ADD). This song truly shows the band members' skill, with very complex parts for the vocals, guitars, bass and drums. 10/10 07.Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors: another instrumental, providing a rather long and eerie intro to Her Ghost, with very interesting parts. Obviously merges. 9/10 08.Her Ghost in the Fog: the best song in the album, and maybe even of all of their tracks, and probably the most famous, as it has a music video. Everything in the song fits in perfectly, even the old man growls in the intro, and the high pitched vocals in the background of the pre-chorus. Highly recommended. Doesn't merge. 10/10 09.Satanic Mantra: my least favourite track in the album. As the title says, it's just a repeating chant without music. Boring, and thankfully short. Doesn't merge. 5/10 10.Tearing the Veil from Grace: an interesting song, with very good orchestration and very cool riffs. After the orchestra stops, a very cool fast-paced riff begins. Doesn't merge. 10/10 11.Tortured Soul Asylum: the last track. After an annoying old man growl intro, the song starts, and it's a pretty good one too, but a little repeating. 7.5/10 // 9

Lyrics: As usual, very high quality lyrics, with very good language. This album features the best vocals by Cradle up to now (don't know the future). This album puts Dani as number one best screamer in the world for me (he would have shared that place if not for this album), but not such a good growler, even though this album gives his best growls. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, probably their best, along with Nymphetamine. It also features one of my favourite songs ever, Her Ghost in the Fog. it's followed by Amor E Morte, and then Cthulu Dawn/ Tearing the Veil from Grace. This album is a masterpiece, and it's a pity that it's so rare in my country. // 10

Midian Reviewed by: Spyke17, on august 03, 2009

Sound: 01.At the Gates of Midian: the instrumental introduction to the album. It set's a dark sort of atmosphere that prepares you for the rest of the album. ALthough not my favourite intro to a Filth album, it's still a good track. 02.Cthulhu Dawn: a great proper intro to the album, it really prepares you for what is to come. Easilly one of the best songs on the album. 03.Saffron's Curse: to be honest, I don't really like this song, don't know why but it just every time I listen I don't really listen to it, or even skip it. Neverless it is still a decent song, the beginning features some nice keys which gives it a unique sort of sound different to the other Cradle of Filth albums (much like many of the songs on the album) 04.Death Magick For Adepts: one of the top 3 songs on the album, this is one of the songs on the album that features Doug Bradley's excellent narratives. Nice fast song that is hard not too like. 05.Lord Abortion: features an atmospheric intro plus a quick piece of guest vocals from Dani Filth's wife. This song is another of the top 3 songs on the album. Full of varying lyrics and not afraid to actually stop being heavy for long passages. 06.Amor E Morte: another song that I haven't really paid much attention to. Personally, I don't feel that this is a very good song when compared to the other tracks, however, not too bad, it certainlly doesn't ruin the album for me. 07.Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors: the first instrumental on the album (after the intro of course), dark atmospheric, everything you'd expect from a Cradle of Filth, although much like At the gates of Midian it is not the greatest instrumental released by CoF, it is still certainlly a decent track. 08.Her Ghost In the Fog: the song that got me into Cradle of Filth, the piano intro is great, followed by the main part of the song as well as Doug Bradley's vocals. Then Dani's vocals, more toned down vocal-wise then other songs, but still very good. The final song in the top 3 of Midian. 09.Satanic Mantra: as a very short song, less than 1 minute long and just a chant being repeated over and over, it hardly counts as a song, however it is still good, with the build-up of the chanting. 10.Tearing the Veil from Grace: another track that really doesn't stand out to me, however still a decent song, with the nice sounding choir-like vocals beginning about halfway through the song. It ends abruptly, leading into the final song on the album. 11.Tortured Soul Asylum: the final song on the album, and the only song (That i've noticed) to directly reference Midian (Aside from the title of the At the Gates of Midian) a pretty standard Cradle of Filth song but that's not a bad thing. Yet another song that features Doug Bradley's wonderful vocals. This song has essentially everything that makes Cradle of Filth great: Dani's high shrieks and low growls, interesting lyrics, Doug Bradley narration, Sarah Jezebel Deva vocals. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are your standard Cradle of Filth lyrics; wonderful, casting up vivid images through Dani's excellent way with words, the lyrics never become boring or repetive on any track. Dani's vocals are your standard Filth vocals, ranging from deep growls to high shrieks, and everything inbetween. // 10

Overall Impression: This is in my opinion one of Cradle's best albums, if not the best. I believe that the songs Lord Abortion and Her Ghost in the Fog deserve speciail mentions on this album, although there are no bad songs, just some songs are not as good. I love that this album features a unique sound (I want to say it's got an eastern feel, but I'm not sure if that's what it is...) The songs are excellent and I really wish I could have seen them perform these great songs live during the Midian era. This album is the first album that Adrian Erlandsson drums on and that Martin Powell provides keys on, as well as bringing the return of original guitarist: Paul Allender. Midian features a brilliant line-up, consisting of: Paul Allender, Adrian Erlandsson, Martin Powell, Gian Pyres, Robin Eaglestone, Sarah jezebel Deva, and of course Dani Filth. I thoroughly recommend this album to anybody who wishes to get into Cradle of Filth, or already has started listening but needs some good albums too listen to. If I were to lose this album, I would no doubt purchase a new copy. // 9

Comments