Nymphetamine review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
Cradle of Filth: Nymphetamine

I'm surprised that this album hasn't been blessed by a review yet. The sound is brilliant Paul's guitar work is crystal clear with a veriaty of styles and techniques and Dani's vocal's are spot on maching every tone with agility; from a low, brutal growl to a high pitched scream or his trade mark spattered, croaky, vampyric hiss. I'm tempted to say it's perfect. This album is very different from anything else I've seen from heavy metal extremists - Cradle Of Filth, the song Medusa and Hermlock follows the usual plot of happinings and goings on in the world of the plot, Where As Guilded C--t is about a spoiled lizard like being (perhaps a lover, relative or friend of a member of the band? Well we'll never know for sure) and the song Nemisis follows an islamic extremist on his path to seek revenge on a privilaged western neighbour, the song dosn't condone such behaviour as right; but looks for a reason why someone can feal a god given right to spill innocent blood in this increasingly dangerous world.

The lyrics arn't realy as poetic as you would expect from a Cradle album who's title realy suggests more sexual or romantic themes. I think this is because Dani's vocal chords have become more mature since his youth days of The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh where hey could spit out a whole sentence in what sounded like less than three sylibals. Here everything is layed down perfectly to tie in with the music, Dani's blurted words of hatred realy add an angry edge to alot of the tracks.

This won't appeal to alot of people, but rest asured that this will wet your musical taste buds. It's just as heavy as any other Cradle album (if not, heavier) but everything here is very refined unlike the earlier albums. In short if you havn't heard much of Cradle Of Filth, have heard some of them but don't like it or if your just one of those sinical idiots who want to prejudge something better than normal then I strongly advise that you atleast give afew of the songs on this album a shot, download guilded cunt and you'll see exactly what I've been talking about in this review. And if you are a devoted fan like me you must hear this album as you will love some of these songs (if not then all of them) or atleast have it in your collection as this is a marking point in musical history where the boundaries of heavy, black, death and doom metal are broken down to form something beautiful yet vicious and evil.