Nymphetamine review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
Cradle of Filth: Nymphetamine

I think the sound on this album is great. You can hear everything that is being played as it captivates you. COF have changed their involvement of the symphonies and it is mostly duo guitars which is great. Some songs sound a bit like regular metal. This album shows that COF can still change their style and sound after 7 or so albums. To me, this one will send CoF into mainstream. It picks off where Damnation And A Day left off but is much better.

Overall, the lyrics are quite good. They are shorter but still maintain great words and flow. Dani Filth is one great poet/writer and his lyrics always seem to tell stories and on Nymphetamine they are great and well crafted. Not his best in the lyrical department though.

Overall, this album is a step forward from thei lackluster performance with Damnation And A Day. It flows well and has lots of melodies (Coffin Fodder and Nemesis for example). Their last album seemed to earn them a bit of a new fan base but still lost alot of old fans, and will probably still loose the original fans continually on Nymphetamine. I think this album will be more mainstream. They've done good, somehow squizing their way to a wider audience. They sure have come a long ways and although I am a huge fan of older works (masterpieces even) like Midian and Dusk and Her Embrace I also find an interest to Nymphetamine because of its dynamics/diversity and change of styles. Styles can range from Black/death metal/metal/melodic metal. Its still a very heavy CD. Rich guitars, full/fast drumming and pounding vocals that can go from a high pitched scream to screeches to heavy growls.