Nymphetamine review by Cradle of Filth

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Cradle of Filth: Nymphetamine

I actually bought this album because I thought the cover looked good. I had never even heard of the band then. When I first heard it, I was shocked. It was one of the most brutal and hardcore bands I have ever heard. The intro sounded pretty decent and melancholy, so I unknowingly turned up the volume. Then the first song came into play, and to say I was blown out of my mind, would be putting it lightly. From there onwards, the tracks only went progressively harder, more distortion on the guitars, a few good guitar solos here and there and some good choral singing to add to that gothic image. About the only thing I didn't like was the singing. I think there's a guy and a girl singing, but it's extremely difficult to tell. The guy part (at least I think it's the guy part, anyway the deeper voice) was pretty ok, while the female part was the worst thing I have ever heard. However, after listening to the album a few more times I got to like it, with the singing and all. If you ever come across the album, look carefully at the song names. They might surprise you. The best song on the album I thought was Nymphetamine (Overdose), it was so good that it's no wonder that they named the album after that song.

While I would give the album 8 stars for the sound alone, I wouldn't give the lyrics even half a star. They are terrible and utterly incomprehensible. They use words that I have never heard of before. However, on checking the dictionary, I did find those words, and trust me the meanings are terrible obscure. The writer is a very talented poet and lyricist I admit, in terms of making the lines rhyme, but otherwise the lyrics are for the brain-dead.

I would recommend this album only to hardcore heavy metal fans. It's a real treat for them, while it would be way to aggressive for all the pop and r&b lovers who don't have the guts to listen to real music. If I lost this album, I would go buy a replacement immediately. It probably wouldn't get stolen, considering the fact that 92% of teenage kids nowadays listen to rap.

Nerdo-sez-bo
    Dani Filth is one of the most talented vocalists I've heard, and musically they are all quite talented
    You've gotta be kidding me.
    Judas_rising
    Musically..as in instrumentally...they're all quite good...the drums on this album are friggin sweet....guitars are quite good too..cant say the same for singing...but this is black metal..so..cant complain...
    guitarhead93
    I_Collect_Picks wrote: this album SUCKS. the old stuff kick ass.
    +100000 Midian is so much better.
    hamsterman64
    themtalisgood
    hamsterman64 wrote: I don't really understand Sturm's review. He gave this album a crap review because he didn't understand the lyrics?? I understand that a lot of this stuff might go over some people's heads, but to give it a crappy review because HE doesn't understand the lyrics is beyond ridiculous. I agree with pyro_the_bear's score of 9.3. This is a VERY good album, and was what got me into Cradle.
    Thats exactly right,i dont listen to bands because of lyrics. I find t pretty easy to loo past them.
    cKygnardog
    cradle of filth is amazing and the girl who sings the song on nymphetamine has an amazing voice and adds a crazy vibe to the song cradle of filth is amazing and will always be
    BenjoJames
    I completely agree, Din's lyrics are of an exceptional standard.