Disraeli Gears review by Cream

• Released: Nov 2, 1967
Cream: Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears has a psychedelic, yet bluesy sound that it keeps for the entire album. The instrumentation on each track is always top-notch. Eric Clapton uses his infamous "woman tone" to the greatest effect on the songs of this album. Most of the songs have a great hook that makes you pay attention to the track. There are a few though, like "Mother's Lament" and "Blue Condition" that I don't think are as good as the rest of the songs. Those few songs are the only reason I can't give this a full 10.

The lyrics on this CD reflect the times quite well. Most of them are very psychedelic. On some songs, though, like the fore-mentioned "Mother's Lament" that are just plain out there. The lyrics fit really well with the music on all tracks. Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and Eric Clapton all get some mike time when it comes to singing. Jack and Eric, in my opinion, are the best singers on the record. Jack has a very powerful voice, while Eric has a more subtle, soft singing voice. Ginger manages to pull off the only track he sings on, "Blue Condition," but he sounds like he's on a lot of drugs (sorry Ginger), and he really isn't much of a singer at all. I usually end up skipping over it.

This is an excellent album from the psychedelic period of the 1960s. When compared to other albums from any period, I believe it holds up very well. My favorite songs from the album are "Sunshine Of Your Love" and Tales of "Brave Ulysses." I love the different sounds of the songs on Disraeli Gears. The only thing I don't like is the inconsistency of some of the songs of the album. Ex. They put classics like "Strange Brew," "Sunshine of Your Love," and "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" on the same album as not so good songs like "Blue Condition," "Mother's Lament," and "Dance The Night Away." However, even with it's imperfections, I would definitely buy this again if I lost it, provided of course I have the $ to do so.