Disraeli Gears review by Cream

• Released: Nov 2, 1967
Cream: Disraeli Gears

This is the epitome of psychedelic rock. The vocals are light and airy, a different compressed guitar tone, and mellow basslines. Eric Clapton made good use of the wah wah pedal (World Of Pain, Tales Of Brave Ulysses). His sound was distorted and compresed. Ginger Baker's drumming was very diverse, from basic rock to African drum beats (Sunshine Of Your Love). Jack Bruce's vocals and bass live up to his name. You can definetly hear the blues influnces in the music. Most of the songs are between 2 and 3 minutes, making each one powerful compared to longer songs on other albums. This is a true psychedelic album.

The lyrics didn't really make sense on some songs, but they had a common theme. Things like rainbows having beards and the confusing Tales of Brave Ulysses are a little bizzare, but it is brilliant! If the lyrics are down, the music has a bluesier theme. If the words are jumpy, so is the music. Jack Bruce's smooth voice and wide vocal range is amazing. He was one of the greatest singers at the time. And if I'm not mistaken, Ginger Baker sings Blue Condition.

My favorite songs from the album are probably Tales of Brave Ulysses, Swlabr, and Strange Brew. The centerpiece of the album is probably Sunshine of Your Love. This album is really unique and I'm pretty sure that there isn't too many other things like it. Everthing is good about it. There isn't anything to hate. Some people might not like the LSD influenced atmosphere, but that just adds to the originality of the album. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again.