Disraeli Gears review by Cream

• Released: Nov 2, 1967
Cream: Disraeli Gears

Disraeli gears, realeased in Novermber 1967, has a large variety of music styles on it. It varies from blues-rock to psychedelic and from hard rock to British blues. Even though some songs are distorted and the wah-wah pedal has been used to give the album a mor rockish sound, one can easily hear the blues influences. The instumentation is definately top-notch on this album, but the recording quality and mixing itself didn't totally satisfy me. Afterall, Cream was supposed to be a "superband".

The lyrics are obviuosly influenced by acid (this was, afterall, released in 1967), but take a few drinks with your friends and listen to the odd "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", and it starts to make much more sense. It does sound like Cream had lots of fun making this album. The singer-bass player Jack Bruce has a distinguishable, and smooth voice. His vocal range is larger than average, which is nice for the listeners (though bad for those who want to sing along.

This was the first Cream CD I bought. I'd been reading all over about this superband in the '60s called Cream. One day I decided to finally get this CD. I was disappointed. Cream wasn't nearly as good as I would have expected. Cream may have become popular in the '60s only because half of the population was stoned back then. Even though I was disappointed, Cream is still better than the average band. The worst song on the album is definately track 11, Mother's Lament. If someone truly loves that song, please let me know. In my opinion the best song is Strange Brew, witch I absolutely love. Overall, Disraeli wasn't nearly as good as I would have expected, but it was still good.

Nirvana11_3
    There are a few though, like "Mother's Lament" and "Blue Condition" that I don't think are as good as the rest of the songs.
    What's wrong with blue condition? And besides Mother's Lament os F@#*% rad.