Disraeli Gears Review

artist: Cream date: 04/09/2007 category: compact discs
Cream: Disraeli Gears
Release Date: Nov 1967
Label: Polydor
Genres: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Psychedelic, British Blues, British Psychedelia, Album Rock
Disraeli Gears is a definitive staple of early British rock and a sensational addition to the avid classic rock listener.
 9.5
 9.9
Disraeli Gears Reviewed by: mattfm, on september 02, 2006

Sound: This is the epitome of psychedelic rock. The vocals are light and airy, a different compressed guitar tone, and mellow basslines. Eric Clapton made good use of the wah wah pedal (World Of Pain, Tales Of Brave Ulysses). His sound was distorted and compresed. Ginger Baker's drumming was very diverse, from basic rock to African drum beats (Sunshine Of Your Love). Jack Bruce's vocals and bass live up to his name. You can definetly hear the blues influnces in the music. Most of the songs are between 2 and 3 minutes, making each one powerful compared to longer songs on other albums. This is a true psychedelic album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics didn't really make sense on some songs, but they had a common theme. Things like rainbows having beards and the confusing Tales of Brave Ulysses are a little bizzare, but it is brilliant! If the lyrics are down, the music has a bluesier theme. If the words are jumpy, so is the music. Jack Bruce's smooth voice and wide vocal range is amazing. He was one of the greatest singers at the time. And if I'm not mistaken, Ginger Baker sings Blue Condition. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite songs from the album are probably Tales of Brave Ulysses, Swlabr, and Strange Brew. The centerpiece of the album is probably Sunshine of Your Love. This album is really unique and I'm pretty sure that there isn't too many other things like it. Everthing is good about it. There isn't anything to hate. Some people might not like the LSD influenced atmosphere, but that just adds to the originality of the album. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again. // 10

Disraeli Gears Reviewed by: claptonfan55, on august 22, 2006

Sound: Disraeli Gears has a psychedelic, yet bluesy sound that it keeps for the entire album. The instrumentation on each track is always top-notch. Eric Clapton uses his infamous "woman tone" to the greatest effect on the songs of this album. Most of the songs have a great hook that makes you pay attention to the track. There are a few though, like "Mother's Lament" and "Blue Condition" that I don't think are as good as the rest of the songs. Those few songs are the only reason I can't give this a full 10. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD reflect the times quite well. Most of them are very psychedelic. On some songs, though, like the fore-mentioned "Mother's Lament" that are just plain out there. The lyrics fit really well with the music on all tracks. Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and Eric Clapton all get some mike time when it comes to singing. Jack and Eric, in my opinion, are the best singers on the record. Jack has a very powerful voice, while Eric has a more subtle, soft singing voice. Ginger manages to pull off the only track he sings on, "Blue Condition," but he sounds like he's on a lot of drugs (sorry Ginger), and he really isn't much of a singer at all. I usually end up skipping over it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an excellent album from the psychedelic period of the 1960s. When compared to other albums from any period, I believe it holds up very well. My favorite songs from the album are "Sunshine Of Your Love" and Tales of "Brave Ulysses." I love the different sounds of the songs on Disraeli Gears. The only thing I don't like is the inconsistency of some of the songs of the album. Ex. They put classics like "Strange Brew," "Sunshine of Your Love," and "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" on the same album as not so good songs like "Blue Condition," "Mother's Lament," and "Dance The Night Away." However, even with it's imperfections, I would definitely buy this again if I lost it, provided of course I have the $ to do so. // 9

Disraeli Gears Reviewed by: Trunx, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Disraeli gears, realeased in Novermber 1967, has a large variety of music styles on it. It varies from blues-rock to psychedelic and from hard rock to British blues. Even though some songs are distorted and the wah-wah pedal has been used to give the album a mor rockish sound, one can easily hear the blues influences. The instumentation is definately top-notch on this album, but the recording quality and mixing itself didn't totally satisfy me. Afterall, Cream was supposed to be a "superband". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are obviuosly influenced by acid (this was, afterall, released in 1967), but take a few drinks with your friends and listen to the odd "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", and it starts to make much more sense. It does sound like Cream had lots of fun making this album. The singer-bass player Jack Bruce has a distinguishable, and smooth voice. His vocal range is larger than average, which is nice for the listeners (though bad for those who want to sing along. // 9

Overall Impression: This was the first Cream CD I bought. I'd been reading all over about this superband in the '60s called Cream. One day I decided to finally get this CD. I was disappointed. Cream wasn't nearly as good as I would have expected. Cream may have become popular in the '60s only because half of the population was stoned back then. Even though I was disappointed, Cream is still better than the average band. The worst song on the album is definately track 11, Mother's Lament. If someone truly loves that song, please let me know. In my opinion the best song is Strange Brew, witch I absolutely love. Overall, Disraeli wasn't nearly as good as I would have expected, but it was still good. // 8

Comments