Farewell Concert [DVD] review by Cream

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 6
Cream: Farewell Concert [DVD]

The Cream sound as cohesive as ever. Eric Clapton plays at the top of his game, with intriguing solos and beautiful riffs. Jack Bruce is a little sporatic singing-wise, but it's a sign that he's trying to have some fun. His basslines are terrific and blend well into the band's sound. Ginger Baker is fantastically masterful on the double-bass drum, and puts together incredible beats for his bandmates to follow. The overall sound quality of the songs themselves, however, leaves a little to be desired.

Content — 9
This DVD features the original broadcast TV version of the Cream's final concert together at Royal Albert Hall. It also features an extended version with more songs and interviews. The set list goes a little like this: 01. Sunshine Of Your Love 02. White Room 03. Crossroads 04. Politician 05. Stepping Out 06. Sitting On Top Of The World 07. Toad 08. I'm So Glad This is discluding the band interviews and improvisations they perform. I could've done with "Strange Brew" and "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", but this set list is awesome anyway.

Production Quality — 6
The quality is the Achilles' heel of this DVD. There are a bunch of missing frames during the interviews in which frames of the bandmates are placed. During some songs, you see this extremely psychedelic imagery overlapping with the footage of the concert. A lot of it is very shoddy and some camera angles flat-out suck. There's a lot of zooming in and out during solos, which can give you a headache. But when none of this is happening, the concert is beautifully photographed and way ahead of it's time (1968).

I've seen some of the "May 2-3-5-6, 2005" concert, and that has much better production. But that's forgivable, it was 1968 and that one was 2005. I loved the sound of the music. It'll sound stupid to say this, but I couldn't get enough of the interviews. When you see these giants of rock music being told to demonstrate some of their techniques and hear their thoughts on the world, you'll be impressed. I obviously wasn't satisfied with the production quality. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably end up buying it again, but not before I bought the Reunion concerts DVD.

Cobalt Blue
    I have this on tape.. the interviews are really good... the camera work just blows sometimes.. when Clapton's doing a guitar solo i don't want to see hippie freak out rapid close up of his face.
    ECwomantoneman
    The only thing I don't really like about it is the Lord Haw-Haw commentary (look up wikipedia)
    punkextremest
    Jack Bruce is an amazing bassist and even nicer in real life! Im best friends with his son and hes an amazing bloke.
    mtforever
    they showed this on PBS, It was awesome but the frequent breaks the PBS takes so they can ask for money ruined it, I'll have to get the dvd.