Farewell Concert [DVD] review by Cream

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Cream: Farewell Concert [DVD]

I have always been a big fan of Cream, and this was of course, their last concert in Britain together as Cream. The sound is as good as it can get out of a recording from the '60s (the concert was recorded in 1968). Cream are a loud, psychedelic, rock n roll band, and the DVD, I think, captures the sound and energy of the band beautifully. Unfortunately though, this concert is slightly below the high standard of the band's live performances due to the friction between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker accumulated over the non-stop touring. But nonetheless, this is a great example of the improvisational masterpieces these three men are capable of creating.

Content — 10
The DVD features an 80 minute long feature length version and a 45 minute TV version. It shows Robert Stingwood interviewing Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker (in order) between the footage of the show. There were a few of my favourites that were left out like "Tales of Brave Ulysses" but you can ask for everything. And I am still pretty satisfied with the song list. The DVD also feature a small "scrapbook" of pictures of the bandmembers and their autographs. It also includes profiles of the bandmembers in their own handwriting, which I think is pretty cool.

Production Quality — 8
This show was filmed in 1968, and so the quality isn't the best. One thing that at times got to me a bit was the camera-work. At about halfway through the DVD, really psychedelic looking effects started appearing that I actually really liked. But again, the quality of the film and sound is what to be expected of something filmed in the '60s, so I can't really complain. What seemed a bit weird to me though was that the 80 minute long feature length version had better visual quality than the 40 minute TV version.

This really is value for money. To me, the show itself was the best part. One thing I didn't like was the narrator, Robert Stingwood, I don't like his commentary. And also the way he asked questions in the interviews. This DVD is definitely worth buying if you're a fan of '60s rock.

The_lizard_king
    punkextremest wrote: Jack Bruce is an amazing bassist and even nicer in real life! Im best friends with his son and hes an amazing bloke.
    nuh-uh